Yuzhou Bridge (渝州大桥)
|Nickname(s): 赣西明珠、钢铁之都 (Pearl of Ganxi [W. Jiangxi], Iron Capital)|
Location of Xinyu City jurisdiction in Jiangxi
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|• CPC Xinyu Secretary||Liu Jie (刘捷)|
|• Mayor||Cong Wenjing (丛文景)|
|• Prefecture-level city||3,177.68 km2 (1,226.91 sq mi)|
|• Urban||1,785.92 km2 (689.55 sq mi)|
|• Prefecture-level city||1,138,873|
|Time zone||China Standard (UTC+8)|
|- Total||CNY 77.921 billion (USD 11.42 billion)|
|- Per capita||CNY 68,419 (USD 10,593)|
|City flower||Chinese rose|
|City tree||camphor laurel|
|Dialect||Gan: Xinyu hua (新余话)|
|License plate prefix||赣K|
Xinyu has a history of more than 1,700 years. It became a county in 267 during the Three Kingdoms period. In Jin Dynasty, it became a major city in Southern China with a population of over 50,000. In Tang Dynasty, it was part of Yuanzhou(known as Yichun today). In 742, the city's name 'Xinyú (wikt:渝)' was mistaken for 'Xinyù (喻)'. The government of PRC simplified the city's name as 'Xinyú (余)' in 1957.
Xinyu has an area of 3,178 km2 (1,227 sq mi). It has a four-season, monsoon-influenced humid subtropical climate. It can be very hot and rainy in summer. The city is located 135 km (84 mi) southwest of Nanchang, the provincial capital - about two and half hours away by car via highway. The city's main industry is the XinYu steel plant, which dominates the area.
- Yushui (渝水区）
- Fairy Lake Scenic District (仙女湖风景名胜区)
- Gaoxin Technical & Economic Development Zone (高新技术经济开发区)
- Fenyi (分宜县)
Xinyu is famous for the beautiful scenery and cultural sites of Fairy Lake (also known as Xiannü Lake) (仙女湖). The legend of Dong Yong (董永) and the Seventh Fairy (七仙女) has been passed down until now. Their love story took place at today’s Fairy Lake Region.
Colleges and universities
- Xinyu University (新余学院)
- "新余市2010年第六次全国人口普查主要数据公报" (in Simplified Chinese). Xinyu Government. 2010-11. Retrieved 2012-03-01. Check date values in:
- "2011年江西省各设区市主要经济指标" (in Simplified Chinese). Statistic Bureau of Jiangxi. 2012-02-06. Retrieved 2012-02-06.
- "Fairy Lake in Xinyu City, Jiangxi Province" (in chinaculture.org). Statistic Bureau of Jiangxi. 2010-08-16. Retrieved 2010-08-16.