Location of Huzhou City jurisdiction in Zhejiang
|• CPC Secretary||Sun Wenyou (孙文友)|
|• Mayor||Ma Yi (马以)|
|• Land||5,818 km2 (2,246 sq mi)|
|Time zone||China Standard (UTC+8)|
|GDP (2009)||¥111.2 billion|
|GDP per capita (2009)||¥39,206|
|Literal meaning||Capital of the Lake District|
Huzhou (help·info) is a prefecture-level city in northern Zhejiang province, China. Lying south of the Lake Tai, it borders Jiaxing to the east, Hangzhou to the south, and the provinces of Anhui and Jiangsu to the west and north respectively.
Huzhou is in the center of Yangtze River Delta Economic Area, next to Shanghai in the east, on the south beach of Taihu lake—the third big freshwater lake in the China, rejoices Hangzhou in the south and links to Jiangsu and Anhui province in the west. The State Way 318 of east-to-west direction, the State Way 104 of north-to-south direction, the Changxing-Huzhou-Shanghai Channel—Eastern Rhine River, Xuancheng-Hanghzou railway—the secondary tunnel in the east of China, Nanjing-Huzhou-Hangzhou expressway and Shanghai-Jiangsu-Zhejiang-Anhui expressway contributes to a quick and complicated transportation system.
- 248 BC, Gucheng County (菰城縣) was set up by the State of Chu.
- 222 BC, Qin Dynasty, Wucheng County (烏程縣) was set up.
- 266, Kingdom of Wu, set Wuxing Shire (吳興郡), its administrative area including the modern Huzhou prefecture city and Hangzhou (杭州), Yixing (宜興).
- 602, Sui dynasty, changed the name of Wuxing to Huzhou (湖州).
- During the Tang Dynasty, Huzhou administered 5 counties: Wucheng (烏程), Wukang (武康), Changxing (長興), Anji (安吉), and Deqing (德清).
- At the beginning of the Song Dynasty, Gui'an county (歸安縣) was divided from the Wucheng county.
- During the Qing Dynasty, Huzhou administered 7 counties: Wucheng, Guo'an, Wukang, Deqing, Changxing, Anji, and Xiaofeng.
- 1949, the People's Republic of China, Huzhou town became the seat of government of the First Special District of Zhejiang, administrative area including the modern Huzhou and Jiaxing prefecture cities.
- 1983, Huzhou prefecture level city was set up.
|Map||№||Subdivision||Hanzi||Pinyin||Population (2010)||Area (km2)||Density|
|1||Wuxing District||吴兴区||Wúxīng Qū||757,165||871||869.30|
|2||Nanxun District||南浔区||Nánxún Qū||536,054||716||748.67|
|3||Changxing County||长兴县||Chángxīng Xiàn||641,982||1,388||462.52|
|4||Deqing County||德清县||Déqīng Xiàn||491,789||936||525.41|
|5||Anji County||安吉县||Ānjí Xiàn||466,552||1,882||247.90|
- Huzhou Economic Development Zone (湖州经济开发区)
- Huzhou is known as the City of Silk, is one of the Four Capital-cities of Silk in China.
- Textiles (especially silk), building materials and agriculture.
Huzhou is headquarters of the 1st Group Army of the People's Liberation Army, one of the three group armies that comprise the Nanjing Military Region responsible for the defense of China's eastern coast and the recovery of Taiwan.
The Lotus Garden (pinyin "Lianhua Zhuang") is a small garden located near the city center of Huzhou. It was built in 1924 and features local history, including a Tea House, and ancient stones transferred from Tai Hu (Lake Tai). The park is open during daytime hours, free admission, and many local people will have Taiji exercise or Mahjong games. The park has a lake system where Lotus flowers bloom seasonally, and a large Koi pond attraction. Also, pedal boats are available for leisure. Xiangwang Park is a new historical park in Huzhou. It was built in 2009 and located in Chen Bei Bridge. The whole park includes the ancient building, visitor ship, and historical wall. Long Island Park (pinyin "Changdao Gongyuan") is a new park located in the central of Xitiao River. It was built in 2009. The park is open everyday. Many people walk in this park after dinner. There are a small golf park, a historical pool, and a garden in this park.
Twin towns — Sister cities
Huzhou is twinned with:
- Zhu Zhi 朱治 (156–224) and Zhu Ran 朱然 (182–248), military general for the Kingdom of Wu during the Three Kingdoms era of China.
- Shen Yue 沈約 (441–513), prominent scholar of the Liang Dynasty and author of the Book of Song宋書.
- Chen Baxian 陳霸先 (503–559), founder and Emperor Wu of Chen dynasty 陳武帝.
- Lu Yu 陸羽 (733–804), sage of tea, author of the Classic of Tea.
- Zhao Mengfu 趙孟頫 (1254–1322), great calligrapher in Yuan dynasty.
- Yu Yue 俞樾 (1821–1906), famous scholar.
- Shen Jiaben 沈家本 (1840–1913), Late Qing Chinese scholar and jurist.
- Wu Changshuo 吴昌硕 (1844–1927), great calligrapher.
- Chen Qimei 陳其美 (1878–1916), revolutionary, member of Chinese Tongmenghui. Chen Guofu 陳果夫 and Chen Lifu 陳立夫 are nephews of Chen Qimei.
- Lei Zhen 雷震 (1897–1979), famous politician and political analyst of the Republic of China.
- Dai Jitao 戴季陶 (1891–1949), famous politician of the Republic of China.
- Zhu Jiahua 朱家驊 (1893–1963), famous politician of the Republic of China.
- Qian Sanqiang 錢三强 (1913–1992), famous scientist of great merit in Chinese atomic bomb study; and his father Qian Xuantong 錢玄同 (1887–1939), famous scholar.
- Tu Shou'e 屠守鍔 (1917–), famous scientist and rocket designer.
- Fred P. Manget (1880–1979), medical missionary from the United States and founder of Huzhou General Hospital
Huzhou is well known as one of the birthplaces for silk civilization. In 1958, a great number of silk, silk ribbon and uncarbonized tablets were found in the southern suburbs of Huzhou. Scientists from the Institute of Archaeology measured these silk products carefully and determined the age of the silk to date back 4700 years ago. Now, these silk pieces have become the greatest treasures of Zhejiang Silk Museum. Huzhou silk has many good features, such as paleness in color, quality, flexibility, and round shape. As a result, Huzhou silk has gained a good reputation for a long time. The history of Huzhou silk can be chased down to the time of the Warring States (474 BC –221 BC) .By this time of Southern and Northern Dynasties (420 AD – 589 AD), Huzhou silk has already been exported to more than ten countries. During the Tang dynasty (618 AD – 907 AD), Huzhou silk is chosen as an imperial tribute,which marks the prosperity of silk production . When it comes to Ming dynasty (1368 AD – 1644 AD), the residents living near the lake entering the textile industry, resulting in an enrichment of Huzhou Silk species. Huzhou Silk has won awards in the World's Fair, and is famous overseas.
- ""Huzhou ink brush""
Huzhou has a long history of manufacturing ink brushes, and it can be traced back to Qin Dynasty. Huzhou's ink brush production and manufacture gained prominence in the Ming Dynasty (13th century). Now Hzhou is known as the "Hometown of Ink Brush". Huzhou also holds annual "Huzhou Ink Brush Festival", and the festival also has some memorial activities dedicated to Meng Tian - the inventor of ink brush pen. The most famous brush pen workshop in Huzhou could be the Shanlian ( Simplified Chinese: 善 琏; Pinyin: Shàn Liǎn), and its brush pens are named Shanlian Hubi ( Simplified Chinese: 善琏湖 笔; Pinyin: Shànliǎn Húbǐ). Shanlian is also a local place name, whose ancient name was Mengxi (蒙溪, literally means "the creek of Meng Tian"). Meng Tian made brush pens there.
- Zhouji dumpling
Zhouji dumpling was founded by Zhouji. It is said that in 1930, the Zhouji saw Ding Lianfang (Chinese name) opened a snack store, which is booming, as a result, Zhouji also opened a store to compete. Soon after, Zhouji's snack store was defeated, then he opened a shop called " Zhouji's dumpling shop ". Zhouji is very particular about the quality of the dumpling and select all raw materials very carefully, such as the bamboo clothing (the out layer of bamboo leaf), sesame,sesame oil, wine, sugar, salt and other spices to be added into the dumpling. Besides that, Zhouji invented a special processing of the dumpling so that dumplings do not break up easily when boiled. Combined with the special sauce, the dumplings have a fantastic taste and are a very popular dish.
- "Radom - Miasta partnerskie" [Radom - Partnership cities]. Miasto Radom [City of Radom] (in Polish). Archived from the original on 2013-04-03. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "huzhou silk history." baidu. baidu, 09 May 2009. Web. 30 Oct 2013. <http://zhidao.baidu.com/link?url=CM4uZMECsupncKVKYyTqYMeoFtCAK1AfMw2LwhBsCKTexNGe2thEvG89mxTFhm2bq-xYtNUKF_L0F36GXI-t_q>.
- "Zhoushengji dumpling." Baidu bai ke. baidu, 07 Sept. 2012. Web. 30 Oct 2013. <http://baike.baidu.com/link?url=k203n4zx2KUGhndt4GckwM_B6sPuzpjOsuFo5gYqwh5MKXeBhL6zo9-h05_bw6zg>.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Huzhou.|
- Government website of Huzhou (Chinese)