Gaighata (community development block)
গাইঘাটা সমষ্টি উন্নয়ন ব্লক
|Community development block|
|District||North 24 Parganas|
|• Total||243.52 km2 (94.02 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,200/km2 (3,200/sq mi)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Bangaon|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Gaighata, Bangaon Dakshin|
Gaighata (community development block) is an administrative division in Bangaon subdivision of North 24 Parganas district in the Indian state of West Bengal. Gaighata police station serves this block. Headquarters of this block is at Chandrapara Bazar.
Situated on the banks of the river Jamuna, Gaighata is located at .
Gram panchayats of Gaighata block/ panchayat samiti are: Jaleswar II,
There are 7 (Seven) Census Towns in this block as per Census-2011: Chandpara(code-8330) under Chandpara Gram Panchayat, Sekati(code-8331) under Dooma Gram Panchayat, Purba Sonatikry (code-8332) under Chandpara Gram Panchayat, Dhakuria(code-8333) under Chandpara Gram Panchayat, Chinkanpara(code-8334) under Ichhapur-II Gram Panchayat, Simulpur (code-8335) under Simulpur Gram Panchayat and Bora (code-8336)under Ichhapur-II Gram Panchayat.
As per 2001 census, Gaighata block has a total population of 300,418 out of which 177,515 were males and 166,459 were females. Gaighata block registered a population growth of 16.72 per cent during the 1991-2001 decade. Decadal growth for the district was 22.40 per cent. Decadal growth in West Bengal was 17.84 per cent.
Gaighata is on NH 35 from Barasat to Bangaon and the Bangladesh border. A privately operated express bus (No. 250) from Esplanade to Bangaon goes via Gaighata (It's Close From 2008). Gaighata now has good connectivity with all surrounding villages by means of autorikshas and trekars. One can easily reach Ranaghat and Basirhat by bus. Recently another privately operated bus ( No. DN 44 ) from ( Bangaon to Dakshineswar ) also goes via Chandpara, Gaighata, Habra, Barasat, Madhyamgram, Birati.
Gaighata block is one of the areas where ground water is affected by arsenic contamination. According to the findings of the Arsenic Dushan Protirodh Committee (ADPC), a national-level NGO which aims to spread awareness of arsenic and prevent arsenic poisoning through water, found at least 70 tube-wells were reportedly supplying water highly contaminated with arsenic. The ADPC tested water from wells across Gaighata block in North 24-Parganas as well as urine samples of 100 school children.
The possibility of a low cost river water treatment plant utilizing water from Yamuna-Ichhamati at Gighata has been considered. However, this is not considered feasible because the river is highly polluted, costs would considerably increased because of installation of chemical treatment plant to remove pollutants, and the volume of water in the river in summer season is not sufficient.
Project Well, a NGO, is implementing a self-supporting community-based mitigation program in Gaighata to provide arsenic safe water by constructing 20 modified conventional dugwells along with education on water related health effects to change behaviour.
- "Contact details of Block Development Officers". North 24 Parganas district. West Bengal Government. Retrieved 2011-02-17.
- "Census of India 2001, Provisional Population Totals, West Bengal, Table - 4". North Twenty Four Parganas District (11). Government of West Bengal. Archived from the original on September 27, 2007. Retrieved 2010-10-25.
- "Provisional Population Totals, West Bengal. Table 4". Census of India 2001. Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on September 26, 2003. Retrieved 2011-01-20.
- "Travel - Transport". Kolkata Bus Routes. calcuttaweb. Retrieved 2007-08-24.
- "Groundwater Arsenic contamination in West Bengal-India (20 years study )". Groundwater arsenic contamination status of North 24-Parganas district, one of the nine arsenic affected districts of West Bengal-India. SOES. Retrieved 2011-02-17.
- "Arsenic mitigation programme". sos- arsenic.net. Retrieved 2007-09-19.
- "An assessment of alternative methods of providing arsenic free water in villages of North-24-Parganas, West Bengal, India". Retrieved 2007-09-19.[dead link]
- "India, West Bengal - Arsenic Safe Drinking Water: Gaighata". email@example.com. Retrieved 2007-09-19.