|• Chairman||Ms. Chayanika Laha|
|Elevation||24 m (79 ft)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Balurghat|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Balurghat|
In the 2011 census, Balurghat Urban Agglomeration had a population of 164,593, out of which 82,466 were males and 82,127 were females. The 0–6 years population was 10,349. Effective literacy rate for the 7+ population was 91.66 per cent.
As of 2001[update] India census, Balurghat had a population of 135,516. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Balurghat has an average literacy rate of 88.8%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with 92.5% of the males and 85.7% of females literate. 9% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Balurghat is connected by road to Malda, Siliguri, Kolkata and Raiganj. Balurghat railway station is located on the western bank of River Atrayee. Trains connecting Balurghat to Kolkata directly include Gour Express, Tebhaga Express and Balurghat Howrah bi-weekly Express.
Durga Puja, Kali Puja, Saraswati Puja and Biswakarma Puja are widely celebrated at Balurghat. Bolla Kali Puja is celebrated at Bolla, approximately 15 kilometres from Balurghat, in end-November each year.
- "Maps, Weather, and Airports for Balurghat, India".
- "Urban Agglomerations/Cities having population 1 lakh and above" (PDF). Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Balurghat, from Encyclopædia Britannica.
- Balurghat travel guide from Wikivoyage