Koso, known in Japan as koso drink (酵素ドリンク, koso dorinku) is a Japanese fermented drink made by fermenting raw materials such as vegetables and fruits using the enzymes of the ingredients and bacteria and the microorganisms themselves. "Koso" means "Enzyme" in Japanese, but Koso drink is simply called Koso.
Koso drinks are good for health for three main reasons. First, the nutrients of the material are easily absorbed by the enzymes and microorganisms decomposing the material during the fermentation process. Second, enzymes and microorganisms create vitamins and bioactives that were not in the original food. And finally, it contains nutrients that feed on microbes that have a good effect on the human body and enterobacteria, and prepare the intestinal environment.
It is said that production and sales began in Japan about 100 years ago.
At the time, it was used as a dietary supplement for hard-working and undernourished people but is now used in daily life not only for nutritional support but also for digestive support and intestinal environment improvement It is becoming.
How to make
Generally, vegetables and fruits are mixed with sugar and fermented and matured for several weeks to several years by the enzymes contained in the ingredients and the power of yeast and lactic acid bacteria. It is similar to kombucha because it is fed with sugar and fermented, but the nutrition and taste are very different because the material is totally different.
A study conducted by Okayama Prefectural University (2003) showed that: Enzyme drinks can consume a wide variety of plants at one time, and microbial fermentation makes it easier for each plant-derived component to be digested and absorbed as nutrients. In addition, a study at Fukuoka Institute of Technology conducted in 2018 found that it also had a positive effect on health.
- The koso concept – botanical nutrients and enzymes found in fermented fruit and vegetables and raw plants
- What is Koso？ - R's KOSO -
- KOSO — Chef Kenji's seasonal fermented fruit drink
- 伸佳, 中島; 信輔, 桑木; 浩二, 石原; 英彦, 田中 (March 12, 2013). "乳酸菌・酵母により発行熟成させた「植物発酵エキス」の有効性に関する研究". 岡山県立大学保健福祉学部紀要. 19: 39–48 – via oka-pu.repo.nii.ac.jp.
- "いわゆる「酵素食品」の有用性評価: Fukuoka Institute of Technology Repository". repository.lib.fit.ac.jp.
- 今だから言える！？ 酵素ドリンクのウソ・ホント
- 吉岡美穂もスタイルキープに役立てる女性にブームの“酵素”って!? ｜ウォーカープラス
- Regulatory efficacy of fermented plant extract on the intestinal microflora and lipid profile in mildly hypercholesterolemic individuals.