This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Place of origin||Netherlands|
|Main ingredients||Batter (yeast, flour)|
Poffertjes (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈpɔfərcəs] ( listen)) are a traditional Dutch batter treat. Resembling small, fluffy pancakes, they are made with yeast and buckwheat flour. They have a light, spongy texture.
Poffertjes are a festive holiday treat in the Netherlands, popular at both summer festivals and Christmas markets. Mainly in the winter season temporary stands selling poffertjes are quite popular and sell portions containing one or two dozen of them. Usually the cook prepares them freshly for the customer. They are sold on a small cardboard (sometimes plastic) plate and come with a small disposable fork the size of a pastry fork. Poffertjes are not difficult to prepare, but a special cast iron pan or copper pan (also available in aluminium with Teflon coating) with several shallow indentations in the bottom is required.
Almost all Dutch supermarkets (like Albert Heijn, Lidl & Jumbo) sell ready-made poffertjes that only need to be microwaved, and are sold complete with a sachet of powdered sugar and a small serving of butter. Supermarkets also stock mixes for poffertjes, to which only eggs and milk need to be added. Usually they contain some kind of leavening agent like baking powder.
- Æbleskiver a similar Danish dish
- Egg waffle, a similar Chinese dish
- Kue cubit, a similar Indonesian dish
- Kuzhi paniyaram, a similar dish from the south of India that comes in sweet and savory varieties
- Serabi, a similar dish utilizing coconuts found in Thailand and Indonesia.
- Takoyaki, a similar savory Japanese dish filled with diced octopus
- List of pancakes
- Food portal
- Tiefenbacher, K.F. (2017). The Technology of Wafers and Waffles I: Operational Aspects. Elsevier Science. p. 101. ISBN 978-0-12-811452-0. Retrieved 23 June 2018.
- "Poffertjes". Holland.com.
- Clara ten Houte de Lange (2007). Dutch cooking today. Inmerc. p. 14. ISBN 9789066118454.
- Albertin Hoesni. Pedoman Memasak Terampil Kue Nostalgia Belanda (in Indonesian). PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama. ISBN 9789792246285.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Poffertjes.|