List of secondary school sports team names and mascots derived from indigenous peoples
Among the categories of names for sports teams in North America, those referring to Indigenous peoples are lesser in popularity only to the names of various animals (Eagles, Tigers, Bulldogs, Panthers, Wildcats, Lions, Cougars). In the top ten, "Warriors" is number six, and "Indians" is number eight. The typical logo is an image of a stereotypical Native American man in profile, wearing a Plains Indians headdress; some are more realistic, while others are cartoons or caricatures. Other imagery include dreamcatchers, feathers, spears, and arrows. Individual schools may have performance traditions, such as the tomahawk chop, a mascot or cheerleaders in stereotypical Native attire, and chants adapted from Hollywood movies. These fictional representations stand in the way of any authentic understanding of contemporary Indigenous peoples, and promote racism.
The documents most often cited to justifying the trend for change are an advisory opinion by the United States Commission on Civil Rights in 2001 and a resolution by the American Psychological Association in 2005. Both support the views of Native American organizations and individuals that such mascots maintain harmful stereotypes that are discriminatory and cause harm by distorting the past and preventing understanding of Native American/First Nations peoples in the present.
The trend towards the elimination of indigenous names and mascots in local schools has been steady, with two-thirds having been eliminated over the past 50 years according to the National Congress of American Indians (NCAI). In a few states with significant Native American populations, change has been mandated by law, such in Wisconsin, Oregon, and Washington. With the retirement in March, 2019 of the "Indians" mascot in Skowhegan Area High School, Maine becomes the first state to eliminate all Native American mascots from schools.
The list below for U.S. High Schools however remains substantial, with over 400 teams currently calling themselves "Indians", over 100 "Braves", over 100 "Warriors" using indigenous imagery (there are many with the name using generic, Greek or Roman mascots), and 49 "Redskins". The latter has shown the greatest decline, due to an association with the Washington Redskins name controversy.
- 1 Current usage
- 1.1 Apaches
- 1.2 Arrows
- 1.3 Aztecs
- 1.4 Big Reds
- 1.5 Blackhawks
- 1.6 Brave(s)
- 1.7 Brownies
- 1.8 Cherokees
- 1.9 Chickasaws
- 1.10 Chiefs
- 1.11 Chieftains
- 1.12 Chinook
- 1.13 Chippewas/Chippewa Raiders
- 1.14 Choctaws
- 1.15 Comanches
- 1.16 Dine' Warriors
- 1.17 Eskimos or Eskymos
- 1.18 Halfbreeds
- 1.19 Hurons
- 1.20 Indian(s)
- 1.21 Marauders
- 1.22 Mohawks
- 1.23 Mohigans
- 1.24 Red Raiders/Raiders
- 1.25 Redmen
- 1.26 Reds
- 1.27 Redskins
- 1.28 Renegades
- 1.29 Sachems
- 1.30 Sauras
- 1.31 Savages
- 1.32 Scouts
- 1.33 Seminoles
- 1.34 Senecas
- 1.35 Sioux
- 1.36 Squaws
- 1.37 Thunderbirds
- 1.38 Tomahawk(s)
- 1.39 Tribe
- 1.40 Wamps
- 1.41 Warrior(s)
- 2 Prior usage
- 3 See also
- 4 External links
- 5 References
The following schools are listed in alphabetical order by team name:
- Antonian College Preparatory High School, San Antonio, Texas – a co-educational Catholic high school
- Arcadia High School, Arcadia, California
- Arlington Country Day School, Jacksonville, Florida – private college-prep K–12
- Auburndale Middle & High School, Auburndale, Wisconsin
- Centennial High School, Compton, California
- Fairview High School, Sherwood, Defiance County, Ohio
- Fort Thomas High School, Fort Thomas, Arizona – 93% Native American
- Glenbrook School, Minden, Louisiana – A private K-12 school, it has an annual "Apache Princess" pageant. The school was established when the public Minden High School was desegregated in 1966., and in 1970 was decertified from receiving public assistance as being a segregation academy. In a 1977 court case against 14 private schools in Louisiana, Glenbrook was again cited as a segregated school. While now asserting its nondiscriminatory status, the school remains 92.8 percent white, with no Native American students.
- Gonzales High School, Gonzales, Texas
- Nogales High School, Nogales, Arizona
- Pottsville High School, Pottsville, Arkansas
- Sanger High School, Sanger, California
- Wabash High School, Wabash, Indiana
The following use Native American arrows, feathers, or arrowheads in their logos:
- Ashland High School, Ashland, Ohio
- Clinton High School, Clinton, Mississippi
- Lancaster High School, Lancaster, Wisconsin
- Pipestone Area High School, Pipestone, Minnesota
- Preble Shawnee High School, Camden, Ohio
- Sachem High School East, Farmingville, New York
- Sachem High School North, Lake Ronkonkoma, New York - (Flaming Arrows)
- Tecumseh High School, New Carlisle, Ohio
- Watertown High School, Watertown, South Dakota – For homecoming, Watertown selects a Princess and Chieftain, who along with the other members of the royal court, dress in faux Indian costumes.
- Assabet Valley Regional Technical High School, Marlborough, Massachusetts
- Barstow High School, Barstow, California
- El Dorado High School, El Paso, Texas
- Esperanza High School, Anaheim, California
- Farmersville High School, Farmersville, California
- La Quinta High School, Westminster, California
- Mark Keppel High School, Alhambra, California
- Mendota Junior High School, Mendota, California
- Montgomery High School, San Diego, California
- Palm Desert High School, Palm Desert, California
- Soledad High School, Soledad, California
- Yerba Buena High School, San Jose, California – mascot: Aztec Warrior
- William Moreno Junior High School, Calexico, California
- Bellaire High School, Bellaire, Ohio
- Parkersburg High School, Parkersburg, West Virginia
- Sexton High School, Lansing, Michigan
- West Middlesex Jr/Sr High School, West Middlesex, Pennsylvania
Most of the schools with the name use a bird logo, therefore are not directly derived from an indigenous people although there may be an indirect reference to Chief Black Hawk. The following use Native American images/symbols:
- Adrian High School, Adrian, Missouri
- Baldwin-Woodville Area High School, Baldwin, Wisconsin
- Cheney High School, Cheney, Washington
- Cowan High School, Muncie, Indiana
- Fort Atkinson High School, Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin
- Prairie du Chien High School, Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin
- Stockton High School, Stockton, Illinois
- West Aurora High School, Aurora, Illinois
- Absegami High School, Galloway Township, New Jersey
- Alakanuk High School, Alakanuk, Alaska – 95% Alaskan Native
- Alta Loma High School, Rancho Cucamonga, California
- Annawan High School, Annawan, Illinois
- Avon High School, Avon, New York
- Badger High School, Kinsman, Ohio
- Baker High School, Baker, California
- Baldwin High School, Milledgeville, Georgia – A Mascot Advisory Committee was formed by the Baldwin County Board of Education. After a year of discussion the Board of Education has decided to retain the "Braves" mascot name but remove some of the stereotypical imagery.
- Baldwin Park High School, Baldwin Park, California
- Banks High School, Banks, Oregon
- Bartram High School, Philadelphia
- Battle Creek Jr/Sr High School, Battle Creek, Nebraska – Girls teams are the "Bravettes".
- Bellmont High School, Decatur, Indiana – Girls teams are the "Squaws".
- Belmont High School, Belmont, Wisconsin
- Benson High School, Benson, Minnesota
- Berea High School, Berea, Ohio
- Bethel High School, Spanaway, Washington
- Bishop Blanchet High School, Seattle, Washington
- Blackhawk Christian School, Fort Wayne, Indiana – a K–12 school operated by a fundamentalist Christian ministry
- Boise High School, Boise, Idaho – The name has been retained, but the logo has been changed to a "B" with trailing feathers, and a mural depicting "a red-skinned, loincloth-clad Native American holding a tomahawk in one hand and a knife in the other" has been painted over.
- Bonner Springs High School, Bonner Springs, Kansas
- Borden Jr/Sr High School, Sellersburg, Indiana
- Bottineau High School, Bottineau, North Dakota
- Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School, Indianapolis, Indiana
- Bountiful High School, Bountiful, Utah
- Bradford Central High School, Bradford, New York 
- Bremen High School (Midlothian, Illinois)
- Britton-Hecla High School, Britton, South Dakota 
- Brownstown Central High School, Brownstown, Indiana
- Canandaigua Academy, Canandaigua, New York
- Carey Junior High School, Cheyenne, Wyoming
- Cherokee High School, Cherokee, North Carolina
- Central High School, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Cheyenne-Eagle Butte School, North Eagle Butte, South Dakota
- Chemawa Indian High School, Salem, Oregon
- Cheraw High School, Cheraw, South Carolina
- Chopticon High School, Morganza, Maryland
- Community High School, Nevada, Texas
- Collidge Middle School, Granite City, Illinois
- Council Grove High School, Council Grove, Kansas
- El Cajon Valley High School, El Cajon, California
- Flathead High School, Kalispell, Montana
- Fonda-Fultonville High School, Fonda, New York
- Fort Wayne Blackhawk Christian High School, Fort Wayne, Indiana
- Gettysburg Area Middle School, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania – High School is the Warriors
- Gladstone Area High School, Gladstone, Michigan
- Granite Baptist High School, Glen Burnie, Maryland
- Grant County High School, Dry Ridge, Kentucky
- Gustine Middle School, Gustine, California
- H. L. Bourgeois High School, Gray, Louisiana
- Hamilton Union High School, Hamilton City, California
- Hoonah High School, Hoonah, Alaska – Native Americans are a majority of the population
- Indian Creek Senior High School, Trafalgar, Indiana
- Indian Hill High School, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Indian Hills High School, Oakland, New Jersey
- Indian River High School, Chesapeake, Virginia
- Indian Valley High School, Gnadenhutten, Ohio
- Iraan High School, Iraan, Texas
- Iroquois High School, Erie, Pennsylvania
- Justin-Siena High School, Napa, California
- Kamiakin High School, Kennewick, Washington
- La Conner High School, La Conner, Washington
- Lake Gibson High School, Lakeland, Florida
- Logan Elm High School, Circleville, Ohio
- Lompoc High School, Lompoc, California
- Luther High School South, Chicago, Illinois
- Maconaquah High School, Bunker Hill, Indiana
- Mandan High School, Mandan, North Dakota
- Manalapan High School, Englishtown, New Jersey
- Marty Indian High School, Marty, South Dakota – Operated by the Yankton Sioux Tribe
- Menahga High School, Menahga, Minnesota
- Modoc High School, Alturas, California
- Montezuma High School, Montezuma, Iowa
- Mount Zion High School, Mt. Zion, Illinois
- Mt. Edgecumbe High School, Sitka, Alaska
- Newton High School, Newton, New Jersey
- Noli Indian High School, San Jacinto, California
- Norte Vista High School, Riverside, California
- North Summit High School, Coalville, Utah
- Northern Secondary School, Sturgeon Falls, Ontario
- Octorara Area High School, Atglen, Pennsylvania
- Olentangy High School, Lewis Center, Ohio
- Owyhee High School, Owyhee, Nevada
- Parshall High School, Parshall, North Dakota
- Pequea Valley High School, Kinzers, Pennsylvania
- Potter Junior High School, Fallbrook, California
- Reedsport Community Charter School, Reedsport, Oregon
- Riverside Indian School, Anadarko, Oklahoma
- Sacajawea Junior High School, Lewiston, Idaho
- St. John Bosco High School, Bellflower, California
- St. Labre Indian Catholic High School, Ashland, Montana
- San Carlos High School, San Carlos, Arizona
- Santa Fe Indian School, Santa Fe, New Mexico
- Scott County Central High School, Sikeston, Missouri
- Shabbona Middle School, Morris, Illinois
- Shawnee High School, Springfield, Ohio - Superintendent states “We adjusted our logo based on the feedback we received, and we also have hosted an assembly where a member of the Shawnee tribe engaged with our students about the tribe’s values, heritage and history,”.
- Shikellamy High School, Sunbury, Pennsylvania
- Smithville High School, Smithville, Oklahoma
- Socastee High School, Socastee, South Carolina
- South Jones High School, Ellisville, Mississippi
- Star Valley High School, Afton, Wyoming
- Syosset High School, Syosset, New York
- Taconic High School, Pittsfield, Massachusetts
- Tawas Area High School, Tawas City, Michigan
- Tecumseh Junior – Senior High School, Lynnville, Indiana
- South Vigo Senior High, Terre Haute, Indiana
- Terry Parker High School, Jacksonville, Florida
- Tishomingo County High School, Iuka, Mississippi
- Tomales High School, Tomales, California
- Turtle Mountain Community Schools, Turtle Mountain Indian Reservation, Belcourt, North Dakota – Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa Indians
- Union County High School, Morganfield, Kentucky – Girls teams are the "Bravettes".
- Walton High School, DeFuniak Springs, Florida
- Warrior Academy High School, Eutaw, Alabama
- Whetstone High School, Columbus, Ohio
- William R. Boone High School, Orlando, Florida
- Williamstown High School, Williamstown, New Jersey
- McMinn County High School, Athens, Tennessee
- South-Doyle High School, Knoxville, Tennessee
- Greenback High School, Greenback, Tennessee
- Berryhill High School, Tulsa, Oklahoma – Home of the Chiefs and Maidens
- Big Foot High School, Walworth, Wisconsin
- Buena Regional High School, Buena, New Jersey
- Canarsie High School, Brooklyn, New York
- Canton High School, Canton, Michigan
- Capac Jr/Sr High School, Capac, Michigan
- Cardinal Gibbons High School, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- Carlisle School, Martinsville, Virginia – private school
- Cheboygan Area High School, Cheboygan, Michigan 
- Cherokee High School, Cherokee, Oklahoma
- Cherokee High School, Burlington County, New Jersey
- Cherokee High School, Rogersville, Tennessee
- Cornell High School, Cornell, Wisconsin
- Craigmont High School, Memphis, Tennessee
- Crazy Horse High School, Wanblee, South Dakota – Native school
- Crosbyton High School, Crosbyton, Texas
- Deer Creek Mackinaw High School, Mackinaw, Illinois
- Gaffney Middle School, Gaffney, South Carolina
- George D. Chamberlain High School, Tampa, Florida
- Hopatcong High School, Hopatcong, New Jersey
- Hubbard High School, Courtland, Alabama
- Huron High School, New Boston, Michigan
- Iroquois Central School District, Buffalo, New York
- Iroquois High School, Elma, New York
- Iroquois Middle/High School, Iroquois, South Dakota
- J.D. Meisler Middle School, Metairie, Louisiana
- James Caldwell High School, West Caldwell, New Jersey
- Kempsville High School, Virginia Beach, Virginia
- Keokuk High School, Keokuk, Iowa
- Kickapoo High School, Springfield, Missouri
- Lake View High School, San Angelo, Texas – The girls' teams are the Maidens.
- Lakeland School District, Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania
- Lakeside High School, Eufaula, Alabama
- Magnolia Heights High School, Senatobia, Mississippi
- Massapequa High School, Massapequa, New York
- McCormick High School, McCormick, South Carolina
- McIntosh High School, Peachtree City, Georgia
- Mescalero Apache High/Mid School, Mescalero, New Mexico – Town population is 90% Native American.
- Metlakatla High School, Metlakatla, Alaska – Alaska Native population.
- Miami Carol City Senior High School, Miami, Florida
- Monacan High School, Richmond, Virginia
- Moses Lake High School, Moses Lake, Washington
- Natchitoches Central High School, Natchitoches, Louisiana
- Nonnewaug High School, Woodbury, Connecticut
- North Jackson High School, Stevenson, Alabama
- North Myrtle Beach High School, Little River, South Carolina
- Northview High School, Century, Florida
- Omaha Nation Public Schools, Macy, Nebraska
- Pelahatchie High School, Pelahatchie, Mississippi
- Piscataway High School, Piscataway, New Jersey
- Canton High School, Plymouth, Michigan
- Ronan High School, Ronan, Montana
- Santa Fe High School, Alma, Missouri
- Santa Fe High School, Santa Fe Springs, California
- Santaluces Community High School, Lantana, Florida
- Saranac Central High School, Dannemora, New York
- Sequoyah High School, Hickory Flat, Georgia
- Shiocton High School, Shiocton, Wisconsin
- Shoshone Bannock Jr./Sr. High School, Fort Hall, Idaho
- Sir John A. McDonald Secondary School, Hamilton, Ontario
- Southern Cayuga High School, Poplar Ridge, New York
- Tensas Academy, St. Joseph, Louisiana – a private pre-K through 12 school
- Thunderbird High School, Phoenix, Arizona
- Tylertown High School, Tylertown, Mississippi
- Waukomis High School, Waukomis, Oklahoma
- West Ouachita High School, West Monroe, Louisiana
- White Pigeon Jr/Sr High School, White Pigeon, Michigan
- Wisconsin Dells High School, Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
- Wyoming Indian High School, Ethete, Wyoming
- Bellefontaine High School, Bellefontaine, Ohio
- Bellevue East High School, Bellevue, Nebraska
- Bluejacket High School, Bluejacket, Oklahoma
- Bristol County Agricultural High School, Dighton, Massachusetts
- Calumet High School, Calumet, Oklahoma
- Chickasaw High School, Chickasaw, Alabama 
- Clairemont High School, Clairemont, California
- Clark Intermediate School, Clovis, California
- Columbia River High School, Vancouver, Washington
- Comstock High School, Comstock, Michigan
- Conard High School, West Hartford, Connecticut
- Crow Creek High School, Stephan, South Dakota
- Dowagiac High School, Dowagiac, Michigan
- Friona High School, Friona, Texas
- Graham-Dustin High School, Weleetka, Oklahoma
- Green Mountain Union High School, Chester, Vermont
- Hopewell-Loudon High School, Bascom, Ohio
- Irwin County High School, Ocilla, Georgia
- Klawock High School, Klawock, Alaska
- Logan High School, Logan, Ohio
- Masconomet Regional High School, Boxford, Massachusetts
- Nashoba Regional High School, Bolton, Massachusetts
- Okemos High School, Okemos, Michigan
- Okolona High School, Okolona, Mississippi
- Osceola High School, Osceola, Wisconsin
- Palma High School, Salinas, California
- Ponaganset High School, North Scituate, Rhode Island
- Potosi High School, Potosi, Wisconsin
- Riverdale High School, Muscoda, Wisconsin
- Rogue River High School, Rogue River, Oregon
- Sapulpa High School, Sapulpa, Oklahoma
- Selfridge High School, Selfridge, North Dakota
- Seminole High School, Seminole, Oklahoma
- Sierra High School, Tollhouse, California
- Shiprock High School, Shiprock, New Mexico – (Public High School mostly Navajo)
- South Barber High School, Kiowa, Kansas
- Utica High School, Utica, Michigan
- West Cottonwood Junior High School, Cottonwood, California
- Wetumka High School, Wetumka, Oklahoma
- Yutan High School, Yutan, Nebraska
- Bibb County High School, Centreville, Alabama
- Dyer County High School, Newbern, Tennessee
- West Tallahatchie High School, Webb, Mississippi
Eskimos or Eskymos
- Bowbells High School, Bowbells, North Dakota
- Escanaba Area Public Schools, Escanaba, Michigan – The public schools are all the Eskymos, and have an Indian education program.
- Esko High School, Esko, Minnesota – "Eskomos", logo is an igloo
- Town of Webb High School, Old Forge, New York
- Adair County High School, Columbia, Kentucky
- Albany High School, Albany, Georgia – Girls team are "Squaws"
- Altamont High School, Altamont, Illinois
- Alvarado High School, Alvarado, Texas
- Amesbury High School, Amesbury, Massachusetts
- Anacoco High School, Anacoco, Louisiana
- Anacostia High School, Washington, D.C.
- Andale High School, Andale, Kansas
- Anderson High School, Anderson, Indiana
- Arapaho High School, Arapaho, Oklahoma
- Arickaree High School, Anton, Colorado
- Armijo High School, Fairfield, California - In 2018 the school district instructed the superintendent to appoint a committee to study the possible change of the mascot. In 2019 the committee voted 11-4 in favor of changing the "Indians" name.
- Armuchee High School, Rome, Georgia
- Asher High School, Asher, Oklahoma
- Athens Jr/Sr High School, Athens, Michigan
- Avinger High School, Avinger, Texas
- Baldwin Middle-Senior High School, Baldwin, Florida
- Bartlett Junior Senior High School, Webster, Massachusetts - School paper is the "Totem Pole"
- Berkeley Springs High School, Berkeley Springs, West Virginia
- Berlin High School, Berlin, Wisconsin – In 2015, 92% of the community and 90% of the students voted to keep the name.
- Billerica Memorial High School, Billerica, Massachusetts
- Biloxi High School, Biloxi, Mississippi
- Bismarck High School, Bismarck, Missouri
- Brentwood High School, Brentwood, New York
- Bridgeport High School, Bridgeport, West Virginia
- Brimfield High School, Brimfield, Illinois
- Broken Bow High School, Broken Bow, Nebraska
- Browning High School, Browning, Montana – Blackfeet Indian Reservation
- Buhl High School, Buhl, Idaho
- Burroughs High School, Burbank, California
- Byhalia High School, Byhalia, Mississippi
- Caddo Hills High School, Norman, Arkansas
- Calumet High School, Chicago, Illinois
- Camanche High School, Camanche, Iowa
- Cambridge High School, Cambridge, New York
- Campbell High School, Campbell, Texas
- Canal Winchester High School, Canal Winchester, Ohio
- Canaseraga High School, Canaseraga, New York
- Candor High School, Candor, New York
- Carlisle High School, Price, Texas
- Carlisle High School, Carlisle, Ohio
- Carlyle High School, Carlyle, Illinois
- Catoosa High School, Catoosa, Oklahoma
- Cedarville High School, Cedarville, Ohio
- Central High School, Cheyenne, Wyoming
- Central High School, St. Joseph, Missouri
- Charlton County High School, Folkston, Georgia
- Chattooga High School, Summerville, Georgia
- Cherokee High School (Alabama), Cherokee, Alabama
- Cherokee High School, Rogersville, Tennessee
- Chesaning High School, Chesaning, Michigan,
- Cheyenne Mountain High School, Colorado Springs, Colorado – In response to a statewide program, the school has taken action to eliminate stereotyping, including doing the tomahawk chop, or wearing warpaint and headdresses at games.
- Chiefland High School, Chiefland, Florida
- Chilhowee High School, Chilhowee, Missouri
- Choctawhatchee High School, Fort Walton Beach, Florida
- Cincinnati Country Day High School, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Clark County High School, Kahoka, Missouri
- Clarke High School, Osceola, Iowa – A proposed poster depicting the girls' basketball team in headdresses and warpaint received national attention for cultural insensitivity when it was posted on social media.
- Clarksville High School, Clarksville, Iowa
- Clearwater High School, Clearwater, Kansas
- Cleveland High School, Cleveland, Texas
- Clifton-Fine High School, Star Lake, New York
- Cobre High School, Bayard, New Mexico
- Colbert County High School, Leighton, Alabama
- Colville High School, Colville, Washington
- Comanche High School, Comanche, Texas
- Comanche High School, Comanche, Oklahoma
- Conemaugh Township High School, Davidsville, Pennsylvania
- Conneaut Lake High School, Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania
- Conneaut Valley High School, Conneautville, Pennsylvania
- Copley High School, Copley, Ohio
- Cord-Charlotte High School, Charlotte, Arkansas
- Couch High School, Myrtle, Missouri
- Council Rock North High School, Newtown, Pennsylvania
- County Line High School, Branch, Arkansas
- Cowanesque Valley High School, Westfield, Pennsylvania
- Coxsackie-Athens High School, Coxsackie, New York
- Cross Keys High School, Atlanta, Georgia
- Dakota High School, Dakota, Illinois
- Danville High School, Danville, Vermont
- Dartmouth High School, South Dartmouth, Massachusetts
- Delaplaine High School, Delaplaine, Arkansas
- Dobyns-Bennett High School, Kingsport, Tennessee
- Dodge County High School, Eastman, Georgia – Girl's teams are "Squaws"
- Donegal High School, Mt. Joy, Pennsylvania
- Douglass High School, Douglass, Texas
- DuQuoin High School, DuQuoin, Illinois
- East Bay High School, Gibsonton, Florida
- East Coweta High School, Sharpsburg, Georgia
- East Limestone High School, Athens, Alabama
- East Robertson High School, Cross Plains, Tennessee
- El Reno High School, El Reno, Oklahoma – There was discussion about the name when a Native American student was not allowed to wear a beaded mortarboard at graduation, but the result was the signing of a Spirit Charter with the Cheyenne & Arapaho Tribes to retain the name while agreeing to avoid any derogatory or disrespectful Native American references.
- Elko High School, Elko, Nevada
- Elsberry High School, Elsberry, Missouri
- Elton High School, Elton, Louisiana
- Fair Park High School, Shreveport, Louisiana
- Fairfield High School, Fairfield, Ohio
- Farmington High School, Farmington, Connecticut
- Flandreau Indian High School, Flandreau, South Dakota
- Forest City High School, Forest City, Iowa
- Fort Davis High School, Fort Davis, Texas
- Fort Defiance High School, Fort Defiance, Virginia
- Fort Osage High School, Independence, Missouri
- Fort Recovery High School, Fort Recovery, Ohio
- Fort White High School, Fort White, Florida
- Four Winds High School (Spirit Lake Reservation), Fort Totten, North Dakota
- Fourche Valley High School, Briggsville, Arkansas
- Franklin High School, Reisterstown, Maryland
- Frankston High School, Frankston, Texas
- Fullerton Union High School, Fullerton, California
- Gaffney High School, Gaffney, South Carolina
- Ganado High School, Ganado, Texas
- Gar-Field Senior High School, Woodbridge, Virginia
- Giddings State School, Giddings, Texas – Juvenile Corrections School
- Gilbert High School, Gilbert, South Carolina
- Girard High School, Girard, Ohio
- Glens Falls High School, Glens Falls, New York
- Grafton High School, Grafton, Massachusetts
- Grand Ridge High School, Grand Ridge, Florida
- Grand Saline High School, Grand Saline, Texas
- Greenville Junior-Senior High School, Greenville, California
- Greenwood High School, Greenwood, Wisconsin
- Griffiths Middle School, Downey, California
- Groton High School, Groton, New York – The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Groveton High School, Groveton, Texas
- Guilford High School, Guilford, Connecticut
- H.C. Wilcox Technical High School, Meriden, Connecticut
- Hallsville High School, Hallsville, Missouri
- Hancock County High School, Sneedville, Tennessee
- Hanover High School, Hanover, Massachusetts
- Happy Camp High School, Happy Camp, California
- Harlandale High School, San Antonio, Texas – Logo and school colors are the same as the Washington Redskins
- Harpeth High School, Kingston Springs, Tennessee
- Hart High School, Newhall, Santa Clarita, California
- Hartford High School, Hartford, Michigan
- Haskell High School, Haskell, Texas
- Hays High School, Hays, Kansas
- Hayti High School, Hayti, Missouri
- Hazlehurst High School, Hazlehurst, Mississippi
- Hillsboro High School, Hillsboro, Ohio
- Holt High School, Wentzville, Missouri
- Holy Cross High School, Covington, Kentucky
- Hononegah Community High School, Rockton, Illinois
- Hoosic Valley High School, Schaghticoke, New York
- Hoxie High School, Hoxie, Kansas
- Huckabay High School, Huckabay, Texas
- Immokalee High School, Immokalee, Florida
- Indian Lake Central High School, Indian Lake, New York
- Indian River High School, Dagsboro, Delaware
- Indiana Area Senior High School, Indiana, Pennsylvania
- Indianola High School, Indianola, Iowa
- Irwin County High School, Ocilla, Georgia
- Istrouma High School, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Itawamba Agricultural High School, Fulton, Mississippi
- Jackson High School, Jackson, Missouri
- North Side High School, Jackson, Tennessee
- Jacksonville High School, Jacksonville, Texas
- Jim Ned High School, Tuscola, Texas
- John Jay High School, Cross River, New York
- Johnston City High School, Johnston City, Illinois
- Jourdanton High School, Jourdanton, Texas – Girls team are "Squaws"
- Juniata High School, Mifflintown, Pennsylvania
- Karnack High School, Karnack, Texas
- Keller High School, Keller, Texas - The Society of Native Nations wants the school board to drop the name.
- Kelly High School, Wise, Virginia
- Kennett High School, Kennett, Missouri
- Keshequa High School, Nunda, New York
- Ketcham High School, Wappingers Falls, New York
- Kewaskum High School, Kewaskum, Wisconsin
- Keya Paha County High School, Springview, Nebraska
- Keystone Heights Junior/Senior High School, Keystone Heights, Florida
- Kiowa High School, Kiowa, Colorado
- Lake Central High School, St. John, Indiana
- Lane Technical College Prep High School, Chicago, Illinois – The editorial board of the school newspaper, "The Warrior" has decides to eliminate all Native American imagery from its logo.
- Larned High School, Larned, Kansas
- Lawrenceville High School, Lawrenceville, Illinois
- Lehighton Area High School, Lehighton, Pennsylvania
- Lemont High School, Lemont, Illinois
- Lenape High School, Medford, New Jersey
- Letchworth High School, Gainesville, New York
- Lewistown High School, Lewistown, Illinois
- Liberty High School, Liberty, New York
- Lipan High School, Lipan, Texas
- Little Axe High School, Norman, Oklahoma
- Loachapoka High School, Loachapoka, Alabama
- Lodge Grass High School, Lodge Grass, Montana
- Loveland High School, Loveland, Colorado
- Lumpkin County High School, Dahlonega, Georgia
- Lutie High School, Theodosia, Missouri
- Lyme Central High School, Chaumont, New York
- Madison Central High School, Richmond, Kentucky
- Mahnomen High School, Mahnomen County, Minnesota
- Mahopac High School, Mahopac, New York
- Manchester High School, Manchester, Connecticut
- Manhasset Secondary School, Manhasset, New York
- Manhattan High School, Manhattan, Kansas – The mascot was discussed at a school board forum where student and community members spoke on both sides of the issue. The Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Manhattan passed a resolution in favor of changing the mascot. The school board has set a September 6, 2017 deadline for a decision on the recommendations of the mascot advisory committee which included having the students vote on a name change. The decision was to retain the name but add Native American studies to the curriculum, and create a Native American student scholarship and/or a teacher grant.
- Marengo Community High School, Marengo, Illinois
- Maricopa High School, Maricopa, California
- Marietta High School, Marietta, Oklahoma
- Marion High School, Marion, Iowa
- Marked Tree High School, Marked Tree, Arkansas
- Marysville High School, Marysville, California
- Mascoutah Community High School, Mascoutah, Illinois
- McEachern High School, Powder Springs, Georgia
- Mechanicsburg High School, Mechanicsburg, Ohio
- Medicine Lodge High School, Medicine Lodge, Kansas
- Menomonee Falls High School, Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
- Meredosia-Chambersburg High School, Meredosia, Illinois
- Milan High School, Milan, Indiana
- Milford High School, Milford, Connecticut
- Millersburg Area High School, Millersburg, Pennsylvania
- Minatare High School, Minatare, Nebraska
- Minooka High School, Minooka, Illinois
- Mishicot High School, Mishicot, Wisconsin
- Mississinewa High School, Gas City, Indiana
- Mohawk High School, Marcola, Oregon
- Momence High School, Momence, Illinois
- Montgomery Central High School, Cunningham, Montgomery County, Tennessee
- Montgomery County High School, Mt. Sterling, Kentucky
- Montrose High School, Montrose, Colorado
- Montville High School, Oakdale, Connecticut
- Morton High School, Morton, Texas
- Mosinee High School, Mosinee, Wisconsin
- Mountain Valley High School, Saguache, Colorado
- Mount Gilead High School, Mount Gilead, Ohio
- Mukwonago High School, Mukwonago, Wisconsin
- Muncy Junior-Senior High School, Muncy, Pennsylvania
- Murray County High School, Chatsworth, Georgia
- Navajo High School, Altus, Oklahoma
- Negreet High School, Negreet, Louisiana
- Neoga High School, Neoga, Illinois
- New Hope High School, New Hope, Alabama
- Newberry High School, Newberry, Michigan
- Newington High School, Newington, Connecticut
- Newton Local High School, Pleasant Hill, Ohio - Superintendent states: “In this country, the PC culture is continuing to fuel conflict where none should exist and in places where common sense prevails”
- Nezperce High School, Nezperce, Idaho
- Nocona High School, Nocona, Texas
- North Brookfield High School, North Brookfield, Massachusetts
- North Central High School, Spokane, Washington
- North East High School, North East, Maryland
- North Haven High School, North Haven, Connecticut
- North Hills High School, Ross Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania (a suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)
- Northside High School, Vernon, Texas
- Northumberland High School, Heathsville, Virginia
- Northwest High School, Canal Fulton, Ohio
- Norwood High School, Norwood, Ohio
- Nyack High School, Upper Nyack, New York
- Odessa-Montour High School, Odessa, New York
- Ogallala High School, Ogallala, Nebraska
- Ohatchee High School, Ohatchee, Alabama
- Oklahoma School for the Deaf, Sulphur, Oklahoma
- Oneida High School, Oneida, Tennessee
- Oneida High School, Oneida, New York
- Orangeburg Preparatory Schools, Orangeburg, South Carolina
- Osage High School, Kaiser, Missouri
- Osage City High School, Osage City, Kansas
- Osceola High School, Osceola, Missouri
- Oskaloosa High School, Oskaloosa, Iowa
- Oswego High School, Oswego, Kansas
- Owego Free Academy High School, Owego, New York
- Pacific High School, Pacific, Missouri
- Paint Rock High School, Paint Rock, Texas
- Palm Springs High School, Palm Springs, California
- Pascack Valley High School, Hillsdale, New Jersey
- Passaic High School, Passaic, New Jersey
- Pawnee High School, Pawnee, Illinois
- Pawnee City High School, Pawnee City, Nebraska
- Pawnee High School, Pawnee, Illinois
- Payson-Seymour High School, Payson, Illinois
- Pecatonica High School, Pecatonica, Illinois
- Peebles High School, Peebles, Ohio
- Penn Hills High School, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Pennsauken High School, Pennsauken Township, New Jersey
- Peru High School, Peru, New York
- Peters Township High School, McMurray, Pennsylvania
- Pinson Valley High School, Pinson, Alabama
- Piqua High School, Piqua, Ohio
- Plainview High School, Ardmore, Oklahoma
- Pocahontas High School, Pocahontas, Virginia
- Pocahontas Area Middle School/High School, Pocahontas, Iowa
- Pocatello High School, Pocatello, Idaho
- Pocola High School, Pocola, Oklahoma
- Ponca High School, Ponca, Nebraska
- Pontiac Township High School, Pontiac, Illinois
- Poplar High School, Poplar, Montana
- Port Neches-Groves High School, Port Neches, Texas
- Portage High School, Portage, Indiana
- Powell Valley High School, Speedwell, Tennessee
- Powhatan High School, Powhatan, Virginia
- Poyen High School, Poyen, Arkansas
- Prairie Lea High School, Prairie Lea, Texas
- Preston High School, Preston, Idaho
- Puxico High School, Puxico, Missouri
- Quanah High School, Quanah, Texas
- Rahway High School, Rahway, New Jersey
- Ramay Junior High School, Fayetteville, Arkansas - A school board committee has been appointed to study the possibility of changing the mascot.
- Ravena-Coeymans-Selkirk High School, Ravena, New York
- Reardan High School, Reardan, Washington
- Red Jacket High School, Shortsville, New York
- Renton High School, Renton, Washington
- Richfield Springs Central High School, Richfield Springs, New York
- Riesel High School, Riesel, Texas
- Ripon High School, Ripon, California
- Rittman High School, Rittman, Ohio
- Roseburg High School, Roseburg, Oregon
- Roxborough High School, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Rural Retreat High School, Rural Retreat, Virginia
- Russellville High School, Russellville, Missouri
- Sacred Heart Catholic School, Hallettsville, Texas
- Sanborn Regional High School, Kingston, New Hampshire
- Sandwich Community High School, Sandwich, Illinois
- Sanford High School, Sanford, Colorado
- Sanger High School, Sanger, Texas
- Santa Fe High School, Santa Fe, Texas
- Satanta High School, Satanta, Kansas
- Saugatuck High School, Saugatuck, Michigan
- Sauquoit Valley High School, Sauquoit, New York
- Scappoose High School, Scappoose, Oregon
- Schoharie High School, Schoharie, New York
- Seminole High School, Seminole, Texas – Indians and Maidens
- Seminole County High School, Donalsonville, Georgia
- Seneca High School, Seneca, Wisconsin
- Seneca High School, Seneca, Missouri
- Sequatchie County High School, Dunlap, Tennessee
- Sequoyah High School, Tahlequah, Oklahoma
- Sewanhaka High School, Floral Park, New York
- Shady Side Academy, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Shamokin Area High School, Coal Township, Pennsylvania
- Shattuck High School, Shattuck, Oklahoma
- Shawnee High School, Lima, Ohio
- Shawnee Mission North High School, Overland Park, Kansas –
- Shelter Island High School, Shelter Island, New York
- Shoshone High School, Shoshone, Idaho
- Sissonville High School, Sissonville, West Virginia
- Sleepy Eye High School, Sleepy Eye, Minnesota
- Souderton Area High School, Souderton, Pennsylvania
- South Bend High School, South Bend, Washington
- Southampton High School, Courtland, Virginia
- Southern Local Jr./Sr. High School, Salineville, Ohio
- Southern Choctaw High School, Gilbertown, Alabama
- Southern Fulton High School, Warfordsburg, Pennsylvania
- Spirit Lake High School, Spirit Lake, Iowa
- St. Francis High School, St. Francis, Kansas
- St. Joseph High School, South Bend, Indiana
- St. Paul High School, St. Paul, Kansas
- St. Stephens High School, Hickory, North Carolina
- St. Vincent High School, Perryville, Missouri
- Stafford Senior High School, Falmouth, Virginia
- Stamford Central High School, Stamford, New York
- Stebbins High School, Riverside, Ohio
- Stephens County High School, Toccoa, Georgia
- Stilwell High School, Stilwell, Oklahoma
- Stockbridge Valley High School, Munnsville, New York
- Strafford High School, Strafford, Missouri
- Strasburg High School, Strasburg, Colorado - School has established an agreement with the Northern Arapahoe Tribe.
- Susquehanna Township High School, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
- Tallulah Falls School, Tallulah Falls, Georgia – Private boarding school
- Tarkio High School, Tarkio, Missouri
- Tecumseh High School, Tecumseh, Michigan
- Tekonsha High School, Tekonsha, Michigan
- Tioga High School, Tioga, Louisiana
- Tishomingo High School, Tishomingo, Oklahoma
- Toledo High School, Toledo, Washington
- Toms River South High School, Toms River, New Jersey - While Native American's criticize student's dressing in faux "Indian" costumes at sporting events, alumni and the administration continue to assert that the mascot represents tradition and respect.
- Touchet High School, Touchet, Washington
- Towns County High School, Hiawassee, Georgia
- Twin Lakes High School, Monticello, Indiana
- Union City High School, Union City, Indiana
- Unionville High School, Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
- Upper Perkiomen High School, Pennsburg, Pennsylvania
- Valley High School, Lucasville, Ohio
- Van-Far High School, Vandalia, Missouri
- Venice High School, Venice, Florida
- Vero Beach High School, Vero Beach, Florida
- Vici High School, Vici, Oklahoma
- Vidalia Comprehensive High School, Vidalia, Georgia
- Waite High School, Toledo, Ohio
- Wapanucka High School, Wapanucka, Oklahoma
- Wapello Jr/Sr High School, Wapello, Iowa
- Ware High School, Ware, Massachusetts
- Washington-Marion High School, Lake Charles, Louisiana
- Waterloo High School, Waterloo, New York
- Watertown High School, Watertown, Connecticut
- Waterville Jr/Sr High School, Waterville, New York
- Waukon High School, Waukon, Iowa
- Wauseon High School, Wauseon, Ohio
- Waxahachie High School, Waxahachie, Texas
- Wayne City High School, Wayne City, Illinois
- Wayne Valley High School, Wayne, New Jersey
- Waynesboro High School, Waynesboro, Pennsylvania
- Weehawken High School, Weehawken, New Jersey
- Weeping Water High School, Weeping Water, Nebraska
- Weequahic High School, Newark, New Jersey
- Wells High School, Wells, New York
- West Allegheny High School, Imperial, Pennsylvania
- West Canada Valley High School, Newport, New York
- West Forest Junior Senior High School, Tionesta, Pennsylvania
- West Seneca West Senior High School, West Seneca, New York
- Western High School, Latham, Ohio
- Westminster Catawba Christian School, Rock Hill, South Carolina – Private Christian preK–12 school.
- Wetumpka High School, Wetumpka, Alabama
- Weyauwega-Fremont High School, Weyauwega, Wisconsin
- White Cloud High School, White Cloud, Michigan
- Wichita County High School, Leoti, Kansas
- Wicomico High School, Salisbury, Maryland
- Wilcox RVT, Meriden, Connecticut
- Williford High School, Williford, Arkansas
- Winnebago High School, Winnebago, Illinois
- Winnebago High School, Winnebago, Nebraska
- Yazoo City High School, Yazoo City, Mississippi
- Ysleta High School, El Paso, Texas
- Yuma High School, Yuma, Colorado
- Monache High School, Porterville, California – There is a large mural of a Native American on the side of the school's gym, created by Adam Sanchez, class of 2002. This refers to the high school's mascot, the "Marauder".
- Elmer L. Meyers Junior/Senior High School, Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
- James Madison Middle School, Titusville, Florida
- Madison High School, Middletown, Ohio
- McAuley High School, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Medicine Hat High School, Medicine Hat, Alberta – In 2015 a grade-12 student started a petition to change the name.
- Millis High School, Millis, Massachusetts
- Northwest High School, McDermott, Ohio
- Piggott High School, Piggott, Arkansas
- St. Wendelin High School, Fostoria, Ohio
- Athol High School, Athol, Massachusetts
- Barnstable High School, Hyannis, Massachusetts
- Bellingham High School, Bellingham Washington
- Belmont High School, Belmont, New Hampshire
- Cameron County High School, Emporium, Pennsylvania
- Cliffside Park High School, Cliffside Park, New Jersey
- Coatesville Area High School, Coatesville, Pennsylvania
- Colonie Central High School, Albany, New York
- Decatur High School, Decatur, Alabama
- Dwight Morrow High School, Englewood, New Jersey
- East Side High School, Newark, New Jersey
- High School of Commerce, Springfield, Massachusetts
- Iolani High School Kaimuki, Hawaii – Raiders, but mascot is a hawk
- Kahuku High & Intermediate School, Kahuku, Hawaii
- Keyport High School, Keyport, New Jersey
- Lowell High School, Lowell, Massachusetts
- Massena Central High School, Massena (village), New York There has been discussion of the name since 2001, when the old "Indian Head" logo began to be phased out, but not replaced.
- Melrose High School, Melrose, Massachusetts – While retaining the name, the last Native American reference, two feathers in its logo, was removed in 2016.
- North Quincy High School, Quincy, Massachusetts
- Ocean City High School, Ocean City, New Jersey
- Port Richmond High School, Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York
- Radnor High School, Radnor Township, Delaware County, Pennsylvania
- Ridley High School, Folsom, Pennsylvania – The "Green Raiders" use an Indian Head logo
- Rutland High School, Rutland, Vermont
- South Point High School, Belmont, North Carolina
- Spaulding High School, Rochester, New Hampshire
- Thomas Jefferson High School, Auburn, Washington
- Twin Valley High School, Elverson, Pennsylvania
- Uniontown Area High School, Uniontown, Pennsylvania
- Wagner High School, Wagner, South Dakota – Nickname is Red Raiders but mascot is Red Tiger?
- Wamego High School, Wamego, Kansas
- Warren East High School, Bowling Green, Kentucky
- Winnsboro High School, Winnsboro, Texas
- Arnprior District High School, Arnprior, Ontario
- Atchison High School, Atchison, Kansas - Changing the mascot was discussed at a public forum in October, 2018.
- Bellevue High School, Bellevue, Ohio
- Bucyrus High School, Bucyrus, Ohio
- Denis Morris Catholic High School, St. Catharines, Ontario
- East Islip High School, Islip Terrace, New York
- Fostoria High School, Fostoria, Ohio
- Killingly High School, Killingly, Connecticut
- Marquette Senior High School, Marquette, Michigan
- Parma Senior High School, Parma, Ohio
- Rock Hill Senior High School, Ironton, Ohio
- Sisseton High School, Sisseton, South Dakota
- Smith Center High School, Smith Center, Kansas
- Tewksbury Memorial High School, Tewksbury, Massachusetts
- Calaveras High School, San Andreas, California - When a state law required dropping the Redskins, no new name was selected in 2016 and their Native logo was retained. They are now "The Mighty Reds"
- Eaton High School, Eaton, Colorado
- Alabama School for the Blind, Talladega, Alabama
- Anderson High School, Cincinnati, Ohio - The name was discussed at a meeting of the Forest Hills Board of Education, with many advocating change.
- Arcadia High School, Arcadia, Ohio
- Bryan County High School, Pembroke, Georgia
- Caldwell High School, Caldwell, Ohio
- Camden-Frontier High School, Camden, Michigan
- Canister-Greenwood High School, Canisteo, New York
- Clinton Community Schools, Clinton, Lenawee County, Michigan
- Coshocton High School, Coshocton, Ohio
- Cuyahoga Heights High School, Cuyahoga Heights, Ohio
- Donna High School, Donna, Texas
- Emmerich Manual High School, Indianapolis, Indiana
- Fort Loramie High School, Fort Loramie, Ohio
- Hurricane High School, Hurricane, West Virginia
- Indian Creek High School, Wintersville, Ohio
- Kingston High School, Kingston, Oklahoma - The town population is about 15% Native American
- Knox Community High School, Knox, Indiana
- La Veta High School, La Veta, Colorado
- Liberal High School, Liberal, Kansas
- Little River High School, Little River, Kansas
- Loudon High School, Loudon, Tennessee
- Manteo High School, Manteo, North Carolina
- McLoud High School, McLoud, Oklahoma
- Momence High School, Momence, Illinois
- Morris Community High School, Morris, Illinois
- Neshaminy High School, Langhorne, Pennsylvania
- Nokomis High School, Nokomis, Illinois
- Oneonta High School, Oneonta, Alabama
- Oriskany High School, Oriskany, New York
- Paw Paw High School, Paw Paw, Michigan - The ACLU of Michigan has filed a complaint with the United States Department of Education claiming that the name of the team promotes a "racially hostile environment" in violation of civil rights laws.
- Pocahontas High School, Pocahontas, Arkansas
- Port Clinton High School, Port Clinton, Ohio
- Red Mesa High School, Teec Nos Pos, Arizona (Majority of students Native American)
- Ringgold High School, Ringgold, Louisiana
- Rush Springs High School, Rush Springs, Oklahoma
- St. Henry High School, St. Henry, Ohio
- St. Johns High School, St. Johns, Arizona
- Sandusky High School, Sandusky, Michigan
- Saranac High School, Saranac, Michigan
- Sayre High School, Sayre, Pennsylvania
- Shawnee High School, Wolf Lake, Illinois
- Social Circle High School, Social Circle, Georgia
- Sullivan High School, Sullivan, Illinois
- Teton High School, Driggs, Idaho
- Union High School, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Utica High School, Utica, Ohio
- Wapakoneta High School, Wapakoneta, Ohio
- Wellpinit High School, Wellpinit, Washington (Majority of students Native American) 
- Wichita North High School, Wichita, Kansas
- Middleborough High School, Middleborough, Massachusetts
- Pentucket Regional High School, West Newbury, Massachusetts – Despite criticism, the school board voted to retain the mascot in June, 2016.
- RHAM High School, Hebron, Connecticut
- Saugus High School, Saugus, Massachusetts
- Winchester High School, Winchester, Massachusetts
- Broken Bow High School, Broken Bow, Oklahoma
- Lamar High School, Lamar, Colorado
- Leflore High School, Leflore, Oklahoma
- Quinton High School, Quinton, Oklahoma
- Salmon High School, Salmon, Idaho
- Salmon River High School, Salmon River, Idaho
- Savannah High School, Savannah, Missouri
- Sigourney Junior/Senior High School, Sigourney, Iowa
- Tecumseh High School, Tecumseh, Oklahoma
- Wynnewood High School, Wynnewood, Oklahoma
- Lake Forest High School, Lake Forest, Illinois – Some logos use Native American images or spear
- Monroe Central High School, Woodsfield, Ohio
- Osceola High School, Osceola, Arkansas
- Southeast High School, Bradenton, Florida
- Solen High School, Standing Rock Reservation, Solen, North Dakota
- Westhope High School, Westhope, North Dakota
- Albany High School, Albany, Georgia – Boys' teams are "Indians"
- Bellmont High School, Decatur, Indiana – Boys' teams are "Braves"
- Dodge County High School, Eastman, Georgia – Boys' teams are "Indians"
- Jourdanton High School, Jourdanton, Texas – Boys' teams are "Indians"
Although the thunderbird is a creature in Native American mythology, these school's logos/mascots may come from indirect associations with the United States Air Force Thunderbirds or the Ford Thunderbird.
- Bellevue West High School, Bellevue, Nebraska - Offutt Air Force Base is located in Bellevue
- Edsel Ford High School, Dearborn, Michigan - Dearborn is the location of the Ford Motor Company headquarters.
- Johnson County Central High School, Tecumseh, Nebraska
- Mount Tahoma High School, Tacoma, Washington
- North Callaway High School, Kingdom City, Missouri
- Park Crossing High School, Montgomery, Alabama
- Thornwood High School, South Holland, Illinois
- Timpview High School, Provo, Utah
- Algonquin Regional High School. Northborough, Massachusetts – Often referred to as the T-Hawks, logo is either a giant "A" or two tomahawks crossing each other
- Glastonbury High School, Glastonbury, Connecticut
Two schools that dropped the Redskins name, in compliance with California law, choose Tribe as a new name to retain their logo and other Native American imagery.
- Chowchilla Union High School, Chowchilla, California
- Tulare Union High School, Tulare, California
A number of schools with the name "Warriors" never used indigenous imagery, or changed in response to the controversy.
- Adena High School, Frankfort, Ohio
- Alabama School for the Deaf, Talladega, Alabama - The "Silent Warriors" use an Indian head logo.
- Aloha High School, Aloha, Oregon
- Amity High School, Amity, Oregon
- Anadarko High School, Anadarko, Oklahoma – The city population is 41% Native American, and the entire school district are the Warriors.
- Blue Hills Regional Technical School, Canton, Massachusetts
- Bristol High School, Bristol, Pennsylvania
- Brookfield High School, Brookfield, Ohio
- Brother Rice High School Bloomfield Township, Oakland County, Michigan
- Buckeye Trail High School, Lore City, Ohio
- Cambridge Rindge and Latin School, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Carrollton High School, Carrollton, Ohio
- Casey-Westfield High School, Casey, Illinois
- Cherokee High School, Canton, Georgia
- Choctaw Central High School, Philadelphia, Mississippi
- Clinton High School, Clinton, New York
- Clover Park High School, Lakewood, Washington
- Crete-Monee High School, Crete, Illinois
- Danville Community High School, Danville, Indiana
- Delaware Valley High School, Milford, Pennsylvania
- Dodge County Middle School, Eastman, Georgia
- East Poinsett County High School, East Poinsett County, Arkansas
- Eastern High School, Sardinia, Ohio
- Edgewood Senior High School, Ashtabula, Ohio
- Elizabeth Forward High School, Elizabeth, Pennsylvania – Entire school district, including Elizabeth Forward Middle School and four elementary schools, are all the "Warriors" and use an "Indian Head" logo.
- Eminence High School, Eminence, Kentucky
- Foxborough High School, Foxborough, Massachusetts
- Gettysburg Area High School, Adams County, Pennsylvania
- Gordon Central High School, Calhoun, Georgia
- Goshen High School, Goshen, Ohio
- Granite City High School, Granite City, Illinois
- Grass Lake High School, Grass Lake, Michigan
- Hall High School (Connecticut), West Hartford, Connecticut
- Harrison High School, Evansville, Indiana
- Heart Butte Warriors, Blackfeet Reservation
- Henderson High School, West Chester, Pennsylvania
- Idabel High School, Idabel, Oklahoma
- Jupiter Community High School, Jupiter, Florida
- Kecoughtan High School, Hampton, Virginia
- King Philip Regional High School, Wrentham, Massachusetts
- Lakeview–Fort Oglethorpe High School, Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia
- Lakeview Middle School, Rossville, Georgia
- Lamar High School, Lamar, Arkansas
- Lebanon High School, Lebanon, Ohio
- Maine West High School, Des Plaines, Illinois - Mascot is being questioned after negative social media response to a YouTube video. The performance of a student in a Native American costume, which was similar to Chief Illiniwek, has been discontinued, and a committee will be formed to discuss the imagery that will be used in the future.
- Mandaree High School, Fort Berthold Indian Reservation, Mandaree, North Dakota
- Magna Vista High School, Ridgeway, Virginia
- Manasquan High School, Manasquan, New Jersey
- Mariemont High School, Mariemont, Ohio
- McClymonds High School, Oakland, California
- McCormick Junior High School, Cheyenne, Wyoming
- Medfield High School, Medfield, Massachusetts
- Minisink Valley Central High School, Slate Hill, New York
- Mission San Jose High School, Fremont, California
- Mohawk High School, Sycamore, Ohio
- Mohawk Trail Regional High School, Buckland, Massachusetts - Mohawk Trail Regional School leaders are discussing changing the high school’s Native American mascot, while retaining its Warriors athletic teams nickname.
- Muskego High School, Muskego, Wisconsin
- Narragansett Regional High School, Templeton, Massachusetts
- Nipmuc Regional High School, Upton, Massachusetts
- Nokomis Regional High School, Newport, Maine - New school being build likely to retain name, but eliminate Native American imagery.
- North Cobb High School, Kennesaw, Georgia
- Northwestern High School, Springfield, Ohio
- Oconee County High School, Watkinsville, Georgia
- Ontario High School, Mansfield, Ohio
- The Orme School, Mayer, Arizona
- Ouachita High School, Donaldson, Arkansas
- Pocahontas County High School, Dunmore, West Virginia
- Portage High School, Portage, Wisconsin
- Rice Lake High School, Rice Lake, Wisconsin
- Riverside High School, Belle, West Virginia
- Salamanca Central High School, Salamanca, New York
- Seekonk High School, Seekonk, Massachusetts – Logo includes a feathered spear
- Senatobia Municipal School District, Senatobia, Mississippi
- Sherando High School, Stephens City, Virginia – A local Abenaki man has contacted the school administration voicing his objections to the name.
- South Grand Prairie High School, Grand Prairie, Texas
- Standing Rock High School, Standing Rock Indian Reservation, Fort Yates, North Dakota
- St. Charles West High School, St. Charles, Missouri
- Smithville High School, Smithville, Missouri
- Southwestern High School, Somerset, Kentucky
- Sterling High School, Sterling, Illinois - The "Golden Warriors" logo is an S in a circle with two feathers.
- Swett High School, Crockett, California – Citing the Golden State Warriors as an example, this Bay Area school changed from Indians to Warriors in February, 2016. However, unlike the NBA team the high school has not eliminated Native American references.
- Tantasqua Regional High School, Fiskdale, Massachusetts
- Tenaya Middle School, Merced, California
- Thompson High School, Alabaster, Alabama
- Tidewater Academy, Wakefield, Virginia
- Tonawanda High School, City of Tonawanda, New York
- Tuloso-Midway High School, Corpus Christi, Texas
- Waccamaw High School, Pawleys Island, South Carolina
- Wahconah Regional High School, Dalton, Massachusetts
- Wakefield Memorial High School, Wakefield, Massachusetts
- Walsh Jesuit High School, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
- Wando High School, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina - A petition to change the mascot has been started by students.
- Warren High School, Warren, Illinois
- Warren Central High School, Indianapolis, Indiana
- Warroad High School, Warroad, Minnesota
- Warwick High School, Lititz, Pennsylvania
- Warwick High School, Spirit Lake Indian Reservation, Warwick, North Dakota
- Washington High School, Sioux Falls, South Dakota
- Washington Academic Middle School, Sanger, California
- Watchung Hills Regional High School, Warren Township, New Jersey
- Watkins Memorial High School, Pataskala, Ohio
- Waunakee High School, Waunakee, Wisconsin
- Walled Lake Western High School, Commerce Township, Michigan
- Waubonsie Valley High School, Aurora, Illinois
- Wawasee High School, Syracuse, Indiana
- Wayland High School, Wayland, Massachusetts – Uses a feathered spear as its logo
- Wayne High School, Huber Heights, Ohio
- Weldon Valley High School, Weldona, Colorado
- West Branch High School, Beloit, Ohio
- West Hill Collegiate Institute, Scarborough, Toronto, Ontario
- West Iredell High School, Statesville, North Carolina
- West Orange High School, Winter Garden, Florida
- Western Grove High School, Western Grove, Arkansas
- Western High School, Las Vegas, Nevada - In 2018, Native American students and parents have asked the administration to change the name and imagery as perpetuating harmful stereotypes.
- Westinghouse High School, Chicago, Illinois
- Westside High School, Jonesboro, Arkansas
- Westside High School, Omaha, Nebraska
- Wheaton Academy, West Chicago, Illinois
- Whiteland Community High School, Whiteland, Indiana – The discussion of a possible change among school officials prompted a "Save the Warrior" page on Facebook. The name will be retained, but the school plans to phase out its Native American logo, beginning with sports jerseys.
- White County High School, Cleveland, Georgia
- Wickes High School, Wickes, Arkansas
- White Shield High School, Fort Berthold Indian Reservation, Roseglen, North Dakota
- Wildwood High School, Wildwood, New Jersey
- Wilton-Lyndeborough Cooperative Middle/Senior High School, Wilton, New Hampshire
- Winnacunnet High School, Hampton, New Hampshire
- Winton Woods High School, Forest Park, Ohio
- Wyoming Area Secondary Center, Exeter, Pennsylvania
|School||City||State / Provence||Old Name||New Name||Year||Notes|
|Afton High School||Afton||New York||Indians||Crimson Knights||2001|
|Alto Pass High School||Alto Pass||Illinois||Apaches||NA||1969||School closed and consolidated into Cobden High School, nicknamed Appleknockers|
|Arvada High School||Arvada||Colorado||Redskins||Reds||1993||Bulldog mascot|
|Austine School for the Deaf||Brattleboro||Vermont||Arrows||NA||2014||All K-12 programs suspended|
|Bedford Road Collegiate||Saskatoon||Saskatchewan||Redmen||Redhawks||2014|||
|Belding High School||Belding||Michigan||Redskins||Black Knights||2016||The Belding Area Schools Board of Education unanimously voted December 19, 2016 to drop the Redskins and begin the process of selecting a new name.|
|Brebeuf College School||North York||Ontario||Redmen||Bulls||2004|
|Canajoharie High School||Canajoharie||New York||Redskins||Cougars||2000|||
|Capitol Hill High School||Oklahoma City||Oklahoma||Redskins||Red Wolves||2015||Redskins retired December 2014 by a vote of the school board, students selected as their new mascot in 2015.|
|Cardinal Gibbons High School||Fort Lauderdale||Florida||Redskins||Chiefs||2006||School retains Native American imagery|
|Carrollton High School||Carrollton||Alabama||Indians|
|Cedar High School||Cedar City||Utah||Redmen||Reds||2019||"Redmen" mascot retired by a 3-2 vote of the school board.|
|Centennial High School||Blaine||Minnesota||Chiefs||Cougars|
|Chowchilla High School||Chowchilla||California||Redskins||Tribe||2016||School plans to retain Native American imagery.|
|Colusa High School||Colusa||California||Redskins||RedHawks||2012|||
|Conrad Schools of Science||Wilmington||Delaware||Redskins||Red Wolves||2017||The name was dropped in June 2016 The "Red Wolves" was selected by a student vote in February, 2017.|
|Cooperstown Junior-Senior High School||Cooperstown||New York||Redskins||Hawkeyes||2013||Students voted to change the mascot over the objections of alumni and parents. In appreciation the Oneida Tribe of New York donated $10,000 to assist with the cost of the change.|
|Cumberland High School||Cumberland||Kentucky||Redskins||NA||2008||Consolidated with two other schools into Harlan County High School|
|Effingham County High School||Springfield||Georgia||Chiefs||The Rebels|
|Enterprise High School||Enterprise||Oregon||Savages||Outlaws|
|Fairview High School||Fairview Park||Ohio||Warriors||2019||Native imagery replaced by gladiator|
|Flint Central High School||Flint||Michigan||Indians||Phoenix||2005|
|Frontier Regional School||Deerfield||Massachusetts||Redskins||Red Hawks||2000|||
|Gardena High School||Los Angeles||California||Mohican||Panther||1997||Located in the Harbor Gateway neighborhood of LA.|
|General William J. Palmer High School||Colorado Springs||Colorado||Terrors||1985||Did not change the name but the original mascot was a caricature of a Native American called "Eagle Beak", replaced with an Eagle.|
|Glenwood High School||Chatham||Illinois||Redskins||Titans||2001|||
|Goffstown High School||Goffstown||New Hampshire||Redskins||Grizzlies||1994|||
|Goshen High School||Goshen||Indiana||Redskins||Redhawks||2016|
|Grafton High School||Grafton||Wisconsin||Blackhawks||"Black Hawks"|
|Grand Forks Central High School||Grand Forks||North Dakota||Redskins||Knights||1992|||
|Grand Rapids High School||Grand Rapids||Minnesota||Indians||Thunderhawks|
|Gridley High School||Gridley||Illinois||Redskins||NA||2004||Merged with another school to become the El Paso–Gridley Titans.|
|Gustine High School||Gustine||California||Redskins||Reds||2016||Became the first to comply with the Californian state law, adopting the name used by the school from 1913 to 1936.|
|Hall High School||West Hartford||Connecticut||Warriors||2012||Kept name, remove Native American imagery.|
|Hiawatha High School||Hiawatha||Kansas||Redskins||Red Hawks||2001|||
|Hot Springs High School||Hot Springs||Montana||Savages||Savage Heat||2007|
|Huntley High School||Huntley||Illinois||Redskins||Red Raiders||2002||Native American Bar Association threatened litigation.|
|Idaho School for the Deaf and the Blind||Gooding||Idaho||Redskins||Raptors||1990|||
|Immaculate Conception High School||Lodi||New Jersey||Apaches||Blue Wolves||2004|
|Iowa Falls-Alden High School||Iowa Falls||Iowa||Redskins||Cadets||1999|||
|James S. Rickards High School||Tallahassee||Florida||Redskins||Raiders||2000|||
|Jefferson High School||Daly City||California||Indians||Grizzlies|
|John Swett High School||Crockett||California||Indians||Warriors||2015||While dropping the Indian name, adoption of the Warriors is seen by many as a way of retaining Native American imagery.|
|Lamar High School||Houston||Texas||Redskins||Texans||2014||Houston ISD voted to change racially insensitive mascots.|
|Lancaster High School||Lancaster||New York||Redskins||Legends||2015||After contentious community meetings, the school board voted to retire the name. The new name was selected by a vote by students.|
|Ledgemont High School||Thompson Township||Ohio||Redskins||NA||2015||School closed.|
|Logan High School||Logan||South Dakota||Arrows||NA||School closed.|
|Marist High School||Chicago||Illinois||Redskins||Redhawks||1997||Change was discussed, then made with little comment except a few alumni.|
|Marshall High School||Marshall||Michigan||Redskins||Redhawks||2005|||
|Massena Central High School||Massena||New York||Red Raiders||~2000||With no new mascot to replace it, some parents and alumni continue to use the prior "Indian head" logo and Raiders name, including on new athletic memorabilia. The school is 11% Native American, and there have been racial incidents associated with the controversy.|
|Meadowdale High School||Edmonds||Washington||Chiefs||Mavericks||1999|
|Milford High School||Highland||Michigan||Redskins||Mavericks||2002|||
|Millard South High School||Omaha||Nebraska||Indians||Patriots||2000|
|Mohawk High School||Marcola||Oregon||Mohawk Indian||Mustangs||2017||Name derived from Mohawk Valley.|
|Montevideo High School||Montevideo||Minnesota||Mohawks||Thunderhawks|
|Monticello High School||Monticello||Minnesota||Redmen||Redhawks|
|Mountain Empire High School||Pine Valley||California||Redskins||Redhawks||1997|||
|Napa High School||Napa||California||Indians||Grizzly||2018||A school district committee recommended changing the mascot in 2017, which aroused some opposition. However, a new mascot was selected in August, 2018 by students and staff.|
|Naperville Central High School||Naperville||Illinois||Redskins||Red Hawks||1992||Alumni retained an attachment to the old name, but most think the change was a good one.|
|Natick High School||Natick||Massachusetts||Redmen||Red Hawks||2012||Change voted 2007, new name selected 2012.|
|North Douglas High School||Drain||Oregon||Warriors||2016||Name will be retained, but the mascot "Willie the Warrior" will be retired at the end of the 2016 school year and other Native American imagery will be removed.|
|North River High School||Cosmopolis||Washington||Redskins||Mustangs||1995|||
|North Side High School||Fort Wayne||Indiana||Redskins||Legends||2015||The school's yearbook had always been the Legend.|
|Northwest Catholic High School||West Hartford||Connecticut||Indians||Lions||2015|||
|Oak Park High School||Oak Park||Michigan||Redskins||Knights||1990|||
|Onteora High School||Boiceville||New York||Indian||Eagle||2016|||
|Osseo-Fairchild High School||Osseo||Wisconsin||Chieftains||Thunder|
|Ossining High School||Ossining||New York||Indians||No mascot|
|Owatonna Senior High School||Owatonna||Minnesota||Indians||Huskies||1994|
|Park High School||Cottage Grove||Minnesota||Indians||Wolfpack||1994||An "Indian Head" mosaic created in 1965 in the main hallway of the school has become the subject of contention between Native Americans and their supporters who want it removed, and others in the community who consider it a work of art and part of the school's history.|
|Parsippany High School||Parsippany-Troy Hills||New Jersey||Redskins||Redhawks||2001|||
|Penfield High School||Penfield||New York||Chiefs||Patriots||2001|
|Pontiac Central High School||Pontiac||Michigan||Chiefs||NA||2009||School closed|
|Port Townsend High School||Port Townsend||Washington||Redskins||Redhawks||2014|
|Potomac High School||Oxon Hill||Maryland||Braves||Wolverines|
|Poynette High School||Poynette||Wisconsin||Indians||Pumas||2009|||
|Reading Memorial High School||Reading||Massachusetts||Redmen||Rockets|
|Red Cloud Indian School||Pine Ridge Indian Reservation||South Dakota||Chiefs||Crusaders|
|Red Lodge High School||Red Lodge||Montana||Redskins||Rams||2011||The trustees of the school favored a change, while the community was divided.|
|Reedsport Community Charter School||Reedsport||Oregon||Braves||Brave||2016||The school board decided to change name and remove Native American imagery.|
|Runnymede Collegiate Institute||Toronto||Ontario||Redmen||Ravens||1994|
|St. Alphonsus High School||Dearborn||Michigan||Arrows||NA||2002||School closed|
|Salesian High School||Richmond||California||Chieftains||"Pride" the Lion||2006|
|Sanford High School||Sanford||Maine||Redskins||Spartans||2012||New mascot select by students.|
|Saranac Lake High School||Saranac Lake||New York||Redskins||Red Storm||2001|||
|Sauk Rapids-Rice High School||Sauk Rapids||Minnesota||Indians||Storm||2007|||
|Scarborough High School||Scarborough||Maine||Redskins||Red Storm||2001|||
|Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School||Union County||New Jersey||Raiders||2004||Although the Native American logo was replaced in 2004 by a generic figure with a sword and shield, fans continued to wear the old logo and appear at games in Native American headdresses. The more professionally designed logo for 2018 of a Knight in Armor is intended to reference a Scottish tradition.|
|Sequoia High School||Redwood City||California||Cherokee||Raven||2019|||
|Seneca High School MCA||Louisville||Kentucky||Redskins||RedHawks||1997|||
|Skowhegan Area High School||Skowhegan||Maine||Indians||2019||After receiving opposition to the "Indians" name from the Penobscot Nation and the ACLU of Maine, the school board voted in March 2019 to eliminate the mascot.|
|Storden Jeffers High School||Storden||Minnesota||Chiefs||NA||High schools consolidated|
|Talawanda High School||Oxford||Ohio||Braves||Brave||2018||In June, 2018 the Native American Rights Fund sent a six page letter detailing its opposition to the name and logo, including the testimony of a former student who stated that she was bullied after identifying herself as Native American. The Talawanda School District has formed a committee to study the issue. In November, 2018 the Board of Education voted 3-2 to change the name from Braves to Brave and phase out Native American references.|
|Tamalpais High School||Mill Valley||California||Indians||Red Tailed Hawks||1990|||
|The Dalles-Wahtonka High School||The Dalles||Oregon||Indian Eagles||Riverhawks||2014|||
|Thomson Collegiate Institute||Scarborough||Ontario||Redmen||Titans||2005|
|Tulare High School||Tulare||South Dakota||Chieftains||NA||Hitchcock-Tulare Schools consolidated|
|Tulare Union High School||Tulare||California||Redskins||Tribe||2016||Plans to retain Native American imagery as much as possible.|
|Turners Falls High School||Montague||Massachusetts||Indians||Thunder||2017||Both the school and Turners Falls, Massachusetts are named in honor of Capt. William Turner, who led troops into a battle during King Philip's War where 300 Native Americans were killed. Citing the viewpoints of Native Americans and historians, the Gill-Montague Regional School Committee voted to change the "Indians" mascot in February 2017, which prompted a walkout protest by about 120 students.|
|Vallejo High School||Vallejo||California||Apaches||RedHawks||2014|||
|Warrenton High School||Warrenton||Oregon||Warriors||2015||Native American images removed. In addition, the grade school in the same school distinct will change from "Braves" to Warriors.|
|Wauwatosa East High School||Wauwatosa||Wisconsin||Red Raiders||2010||Nickname retained, but mascot changed to a pirate.|
|Wells High School||Wells||Maine||Warriors||2018||The school will remain the Warriors, but remove all Native American imagery.|
|Wiscasset High School||Wiscasset||Maine||Redskins||Wolverines||2011||Change was approved in 2011, but the Redskins name was retained until the end of the school year. The new name was then selected by a public poll. In August, 2014 selectmen of the town of Wiscasset voted to name a private road "Redskins Drive" as an indication of their continued attachment to the name of the school. However, following weeks of criticism by members of Maine's Indian tribes and others, a second vote changed the name again, to Micmac Drive.|
|Woonsocket High School||Woonsocket||South Dakota||Redmen||Blackhawks||2016|||
|Ypsilanti High School||Ypsilanti||Michigan||Braves||Grizzlies||2006|
- Native American mascot controversy
- Native American mascot laws and regulations
- List of contemporary ethnic groups
- List of indigenous peoples
- MaxPreps is a site for U.S. High School sports information, and can be searched by mascot name as well as school name, but the data is not kept up-to-date so it is only a starting place.
- MascotDB is a searchable database of mascots from Pro to High School.
- New England Anti-Mascot Coalition
- "MascotDB: 100 most frequently used team names". Archived from the original on March 19, 2017. Retrieved April 14, 2017.
- Pewewardy, Cornel (1999). "The Educational Forum". 63 (Summer): 342.
- "Statement of the United States Commission on Civil Rights on the use of Native American images and nicknames as sports symbols". 2001. Archived from the original on February 12, 2017. Retrieved December 10, 2016.
- "Summary of the Resolution Recommending Retirement of American Indian Mascots". American Psychological Association. 2005. Archived from the original on 2015-10-31.
- "Anti-Defamation and Mascots". National Congress of American Indians. Archived from the original on 16 January 2013. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- Keen, Judy (Oct 7, 2010). "Wis. law lets residents challenge race-based mascots". USA Today. Archived from the original on 2011-08-05.
- "State Board of Education Bans Use of Native American Mascots". Oregon State Department of Education. Archived from the original on February 5, 2013. Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- Abby Ellin (Sep 29, 2012). "Washington State Wants Schools to Ban Native American Mascots". ABC News. Archived from the original on 2013-10-24. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- "2012 Native American Mascot Resolution" (PDF). Archived (PDF) from the original on 2014-08-19. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- "Skowhegan votes to retire 'Indians' mascot". WGME. March 7, 2019.
- "Glenbrook Apache Princess". Minden Press-Herald. March 6, 2015. Archived from the original on February 25, 2016.
- "Brumfield v. Dodd, 425 F. Supp. 528 (E.D. La. 1977)". Justia US Law. Archived from the original on 28 July 2016. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "Glenbrook School in Minden, Louisiana". USA School Info. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "Welcome to Sanger High School". Archived from the original on 2016-12-25.
- "Lancaster Community Schools". Archived from the original on 2016-10-22.
- "Watertown Students Dress up as Indians for Homecoming". September 19, 2014. Archived from the original on November 23, 2015. Retrieved November 22, 2015.
- "Mendota Junior High School". Archived from the original on 2016-08-20.
- "Wm. Moreno Junior High School". Archived from the original on 2015-08-21.
- "West Middlesex Jr/Sr High School". Archived from the original on 11 November 2016. Retrieved 6 May 2017.
- "Adrian R3 School District". Archived from the original on 2008-12-02.
- "Fort Atkinson High School Athletics". Archived from the original on 2016-04-27.
- "Alakanuk School". Archived from the original on 2016-10-26.
- "Baker High School". Archived from the original on 2016-10-17.
- Felicia Cummings (April 1, 2016). "Baldwin mascot committee to hold listening session". Union-Reorder.
- Yvonne Thomas (July 21, 2016). "Baldwin High School keeps Native American mascot". WMAZ-TV.
- "Battle Creek Public Schools - High School". Archived from the original on 2016-12-25.
- Anna Webb (August 3, 2016). "Boise High remains the Braves, but paints over 'antiquated' mural". The Idaho Statesman.
- "West Clark Community Schools". Archived from the original on 2016-11-18.
- "Bottineau School District 1". Archived from the original on 2016-11-02.
- "MascotDB". Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Britton-Helcia School District". Archived from the original on 16 October 2016. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Cary Junior High School". Archived from the original on 26 January 2017. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Cheraw High School". Archived from the original on 7 April 2016. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Coolidge Middle School". Archived from the original on 30 July 2016. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Athletics - Fonda Fultonville Central Schools". Archived from the original on 7 May 2017. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- Converset, Don (November 16, 2016). "BOYS HOOPS SEASON PREVIEW: Blackhawk Christian Braves". News-Sentinel. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "High School - Gladstone Area Public Schools". Archived from the original on 14 October 2016. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Athletics - Granite Baptist School". Archived from the original on 24 October 2016. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Gustin USD". Archived from the original on 24 December 2016. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Home - Hoonah City Schools". Archived from the original on 11 January 2017. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Iraan-Sheffield ISD". Archived from the original on 26 October 2016. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Home - Iroquois Jr./Sr. High School". Archived from the original on 26 February 2017. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "La Conner School District". Archived from the original on 26 August 2016. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Logan Elm High School". Archived from the original on 1 November 2016. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Manalapan High School". Archived from the original on 21 December 2016. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Marty Indian School". Archived from the original on 14 April 2016. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Montezuma Community Schools". Archived from the original on 20 September 2016. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Mt. Zion Community Unit School District". Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Noli Indian School". Archived from the original on 13 March 2016. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "MascotDB". Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Owyhee Combined School". Archived from the original on 4 October 2016. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Parshall High School". Archived from the original on 10 October 2016. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Potter Junior High School". Archived from the original on 10 July 2015. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "MascotDB". Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Sacajawea Junior High School". Archived from the original on 15 April 2017. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Morris Elementary - Shabbona Middle School". Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- Kelley, Jeremy P. (September 24, 2018). "Should Ohio schools ban Indian nicknames? Group asks state for help". Dayton Daily News. Retrieved 2018-09-27.
- "Smithville Public Schools". Archived from the original on 21 December 2016. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Jones County Schools". Archived from the original on 13 October 2016. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "Turtle Mountain Community High School". Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "Alabama High School Football". Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "Ugh! to Agawam's Nickname". The Los Angeles Times. April 25, 1987. Archived from the original on March 6, 2014. Retrieved 2014-01-17.
- "Greenback Public Schools". Archived from the original on 23 February 2017. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "Berryville Public Schools". Archived from the original on 22 October 2016. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "Athletics". Archived from the original on 17 October 2016. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "Cheboygen Area Schools". Archived from the original on 26 October 2016. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "Cherokee Public Schools". Archived from the original on 21 December 2016. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "Cornell School District". Archived from the original on 13 October 2016. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "Crazy Horse School District". Archived from the original on 6 May 2017. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "Deer Creek-Mackinaw". Archived from the original on 5 October 2016. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "Gaffney Middle School". Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "R. A. Hbbard High School". Archived from the original on 24 April 2017. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "Iroquois High School". Archived from the original on 24 April 2017. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "J.D. Meisler Middle School". Archived from the original on 24 April 2017. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "Lake View High School". Archived from the original on 11 April 2015. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "Lakeside Athletics". Archived from the original on 24 April 2017. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "McCormick High School". Archived from the original on 24 April 2017. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "Mescalero Apache School". Archived from the original on 12 May 2016. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "Annette Islands School District". Archived from the original on 24 April 2017. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "North Jackson High School". Archived from the original on 6 November 2016. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "Pelahatchie High". Archived from the original on 18 December 2016. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "Ronan High School". Archived from the original on 1 November 2016. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "Santa Fe R-X Schools". Archived from the original on 21 December 2016. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "High School". Archived from the original on 24 April 2017. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "Shiocton High School Chiefs". Archived from the original on 24 April 2017. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "Tensas Academy". Archived from the original on 24 April 2017. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "Tylertown High School". Archived from the original on 24 April 2017. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "Waukomis Public Schools". Archived from the original on 24 April 2017. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "White Pigeon Jr/Sr High School". Archived from the original on 25 April 2017. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "Wisconsin Dells High School". Archived from the original on 24 April 2017. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "Bluejacket Public Schools". Archived from the original on 21 December 2016. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Bristol County Agricultural High School". Archived from the original on 25 April 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Calumet Public Schools". Archived from the original on 24 April 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Chickasaw High School". Archived from the original on 18 September 2016. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Crow Creek Tribal School District". Archived from the original on 24 April 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Dowagiac Union Schools". Archived from the original on 17 February 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Graham Public Schools". Archived from the original on 24 April 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Green Mountain Union High School". Archived from the original on 24 April 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Hopewell-Loudon High School". Archived from the original on 1 February 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Klawock City School District". Archived from the original on 24 April 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Potosi School District". Archived from the original on 24 April 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Selfridge Public School". Archived from the original on 24 April 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Sierra High School". Archived from the original on 19 October 2016. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "South Barber". Archived from the original on 7 January 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "West Cottonwood School". Archived from the original on 23 October 2016. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Wetumka Public Schools". Archived from the original on 21 December 2016. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Yutan Public Schools". Archived from the original on 24 April 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- Jordan Nailon (December 16, 2016). "Kalama's Charlie Chinook Getting a Tribe Approved Makeover". The Chronicle. Archived from the original on May 10, 2017.
- "Bibb County High School". Archived from the original on 24 April 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "West Tallahatchie School District". Archived from the original on 19 October 2016. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Tse Yi Gai High School". Archived from the original on 5 February 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Bowbells High School". Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Escanaba Area Public Schools: Indian Education Program". Archived from the original on 2014-02-24.
- "Athletics - Esko Public Schools". Archived from the original on 24 April 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Town of Webb Union Free School District". Archived from the original on 5 January 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- Alan Boraas (September 19, 2014). "Aniak Halfbreeds? Proud name; Washington Redskins? Racist slur". Alaska Dispatch News. Archived from the original on September 20, 2014.
- "Rogers City High School". Archived from the original on 21 October 2016. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Altamont Community Unit10 Schools". Archived from the original on 21 October 2016. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- Ashley Rose (November 27, 2015). "AISD keeps Indians mascot despite controversy". Cleburne Times Review.
- "Editorial: Some school mascots need rethinking". Eagle-Tribune. February 12, 2016.
- Jim Sullivan (September 1, 2016). "Amesbury 'Indian' to get formal review; New committee will study mascot's future". Newbury Port News.
- Ben Rohrbach (September 2, 2016). "Massachusetts school reviewing potentially offensive 'Indians' mascot". USA TODAY High School Sports. Archived from the original on November 6, 2016.
- "Anacoco High School". Retrieved May 1, 2017.
- "Andale High School". Archived from the original on 21 October 2016. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- "Arapaho-Butler Public Schools". Archived from the original on 18 October 2016. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- "Arickaree High School". Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- Bill Hicks. "Committee to examine possible change to Armijo's mascot name". Daily Republic. Retrieved November 12, 2018.
- Bill Hicks. "Committee votes for Armijo mascot change". Daily Republic.
- "Asher Public Schools". Archived from the original on 13 October 2016. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- "Athletics - Athens Area Schools". Archived from the original on 11 November 2016. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- "The Totem Pole" (PDF). Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- "Berlin school board says mascot will stay the same". FOX 11 News. January 28, 2015. Archived from the original on March 25, 2016.
- "Browning High School". Archived from the original on 6 November 2016. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- "Byhalia High School". Archived from the original on 27 October 2016. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- "Cambridge Central School District". Archived from the original on 9 January 2016. Retrieved 3 May 2017.
- "Campbell ISD Athletics". Archived from the original on 2016-12-07.
- "Canaseraga Central School District". Archived from the original on 23 October 2016. Retrieved 3 May 2017.
- "Candor High School". Archived from the original on 28 October 2016. Retrieved 3 May 2017.
- "Carlisle ISD". Archived from the original on 24 June 2016. Retrieved 3 May 2017.
- "Carlyle High School". Archived from the original on 30 June 2016. Retrieved 3 May 2017.
- Debbie Kelley (November 3, 2016). "Cheyenne Mountain working with students, supporters to end Indian stereotypes". The Gazette. Archived from the original on November 8, 2016.
- Molly Longman (September 16, 2016). "Basketball poster's 'offensive' nature gains national attention". The Des Moines Register.
- Patrina Adger (February 13, 2017). "Native American tribes give blessing for El Reno High School's mascot". KOCO-TV. Archived from the original on February 17, 2017.
- "El Reno Public Schools". Archived from the original on February 17, 2017. Retrieved February 16, 2017.
- Roche Madden (September 4, 2017). "Mascot debate heats up at a Wentzville High School".
- Chauncey Ross (August 6, 2018). "Online debate erupts over IHS Indians' nickname". Courier Express. Retrieved August 6, 2018.
- Sandra Engelland (November 8, 2017). "Native American group wants Keller High to drop Indians as its mascot". Star-Telegram.
- Patty Wetli (November 2, 2016). "Lane Tech Student Paper To Drop Native American Symbols From Logo". Archived from the original on 2016-11-08.
- Dylan Lysen (December 1, 2016). "Divided public keeps it civil at forum on mascot". The Mercury. Archived from the original on January 16, 2017.
- "Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Manhattan". February 5, 2017. Archived from the original on March 16, 2017.
- Kyle Hampel (July 26, 2017). "Manhattan-Ogden school board issues deadline on Indian mascot decision". Kansans State Collegian. Retrieved July 27, 2017.
- Dylan Lysen (2017-09-06). "USD 383 board approves recommendations related to Indians mascot". The Mercury. Manhattan, KS. Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- "End the mascot". June 10, 2015.
- Dave Perozek (October 26, 2018). "Fayetteville committee will tackle mascot issue". Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.
- "Indian mascots for schools and sports teams? Contentious Saugatuck forum revives debate". The Grand Rapids Press. April 21, 2009. Archived from the original on August 26, 2014. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- Dave Urbanski (May 14, 2018). "Indian mascot at HS gets blessing from tribe — and without cultural controversy: 'I'm honored'". KCNC-TV.
- Nick Muscavage (November 8, 2018). "New Jersey schools split on Native American sports mascots, logos". Bridgewater Courier News.
- "Madison Middle School". Archived from the original on January 16, 2017. Retrieved April 20, 2017.
- "Medicine Hat Mohawks name challenged in student's petition". CBC News. May 22, 2015. Archived from the original on May 31, 2015.
- Allison Pohle (May 20, 2015). "It's 2015. Why do 40 Mass. high schools still have Native American mascots?". Archived from the original on April 23, 2016.
- DAN SEUFERT (April 16, 2014). "Students say they want to change the face of Belmont mascot". Archived from the original on April 19, 2014.
- Dan Alexander (October 5, 2016). "Should this NJ high school change its Native-American inspired mascot?". Archived from the original on February 11, 2017.
- Bob Beckstead (July 9, 2017). "Massena school district begins look at changing name, mascot". Watertown Daily Times.
- Aaron Leibowitz (April 7, 2016). "Dreamcatcher removed from Melrose High logo". Archived from the original on February 18, 2017.
- "Glad Spaulding mascot discussed". Fosters.com. November 6, 2015. Archived from the original on November 21, 2015.
- Caitlin Andrews (November 1, 2015). "Call for mascot change meets resistance". Archived from the original on February 16, 2016.
- "Arnprior high school students resist move to drop 'Redmen': Name dating back to 1920s deemed offensive by many". CBC News. February 9, 2017. Archived from the original on February 14, 2017.
- Marcus Clem (October 9, 2018). "Mascot's future debated at forum". Atchison Globe.
- Mike Taylor (May 26, 2016). "Calaveras High School replaces Redskins with "no mascot"". Calaveras Enterprise.
- "Sports - Calaveras High". Retrieved May 23, 2018.
- "Mascot spotlights Indian grievances". Archived from the original on 2014-07-08.
- Kristen Swilley (February 26, 2018). "Is it time to retire the Anderson High School Redskins?". WCPO-TV. Retrieved February 28, 2018.
- Phillip Morgan (October 17, 2013). "Pride or prejudice: Are American Indian mascots right or wrong?". Hillsdale Daily News.
- Soong, Kelyn (April 2, 2013). "The Other Redskins". The Other Redskins. Capitol News Service - Philip Merrill College of Journalism. Archived from the original on 2 November 2016. Retrieved 3 May 2017.
- John McNeill (January 22, 2019). "ACLU files complaint against Paw Paw Schools". WTVB.
- Erik Lacitis (June 30, 2014). "Redskins controversy? High school with debated name just wants to be left alone". The Seattle Times. Archived from the original on 3 March 2017. Retrieved 3 May 2017.
- "These Massachusetts schools still have Native American themed nicknames, mascots, or logos". February 16, 2017.
- JENNIFER SOLIS (June 24, 2016). "Pentucket to keep Sachem mascot: Committee also confirms use of seal originally approved in the '50s". Newbury Port News.
- South Stokes High School, North Carolina Archived 2008-05-24 at the Wayback Machine
- Steve Sadin (November 12, 2015). "What's Up With LFHS Logo?". Daily North Shore. Archived from the original on November 16, 2015.
- "Squaws are region runner-ups:host first round of state Friday". The Dodge County News Online. February 15, 2017. Retrieved March 6, 2017.
- "Chowchilla High changes Redskins mascot to Tribe". Merced Sun-Star. November 8, 2016. Archived from the original on November 10, 2016.
- Lewis Griswold (April 21, 2016). "Tulare Union High trustees mull mascot options". The Fresno Bee. Archived from the original on April 23, 2016.
- Beth Cormack (December 17, 2010). "BHS NEWS: Once a Wamp, always a Wamp – are Wamps changing their name?". Archived from the original on February 18, 2017.
- "Anadarko Public Schools". Archived from the original on 21 April 2016. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- John Keilman (April 6, 2018). "Maine West High School re-examining American Indian mascot after social media criticism". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved April 7, 2018.
- John Keilman (April 30, 2018). "Maine West High School retires American Indian mascot following debate over use". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved May 3, 2018.
- Grace Bird (February 22, 2019). "Mohawk in discussions to change mascot". The Recorder.
- "Maine School Likely to Drop Native American Imagery". Bangor Daily News. Associated Press. September 10, 2018. Retrieved September 10, 2018.
- Rachel Mahoney (July 31, 2016). "Objections voiced to Sherando mascot". The Northern Virginia Daily. Archived from the original on August 1, 2016.
- Elissa Harrington (April 5, 2016). "East Bay school defends name change from 'Indians' to 'Warriors'". ABC7 News. Archived from the original on April 7, 2016.
- "Tenaya Middle School". Archived from the original on 24 June 2001. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- Kyle Brady (September 5, 2017). "Petition to change 'Warrior' mascot: 'white people stole from, raped and murdered'". The College Fix.
- Stu Whitney (January 17, 2015). "Does Washington High have nickname problem?". Argus Leader.
- "Washington Academic Middle School". Archived from the original on 2016-12-25.
- Analise Ortiz (February 16, 2018). "Advocates want new mascot at Western High". KTNV. Retrieved February 17, 2018.
- Alexis McAdams (December 20, 2016). "Controversy brewing over Whiteland Warrior school mascot". WTTV. Archived from the original on December 22, 2016.
- Ryan O'Leary (January 16, 2017). "Clark-Pleasant reviews re-brand". Dailuy Journal. Archived from the original on January 18, 2017.
- "Balfour Collegiate changes name from Redmen to Bears". CBC News. December 22, 2014. Retrieved April 12, 2019.
- Aaron Streck (June 3, 2014). "Bedford Road Collegiate unveils less controversial team name, logo". Global News. Archived from the original on July 22, 2014.
- Monica Scott (March 3, 2017). "Redskins mascot replaced at Belding schools, now the 'Black Knights'". Grand Rapid News.
- Cassy Arsenault (December 19, 2016). "Belding school board unanimously votes to remove 'Redskins' mascot". WXMI-TV. Archived from the original on December 24, 2016.
- Heide Brandes (December 10, 2014). "Oklahoma City high school drops the name 'Redskins' for its team". Reuters. Archived from the original on June 5, 2015.
- Tim Willert (May 23, 2015). "Red Wolves will replace Redskins as Capitol Hill High School mascot in Oklahoma City". The Oklahoman. Archived from the original on October 5, 2015.
- David Demille (April 12, 2019). "Cedar students pick new mascot to replace 'Redmen' moniker after debate over racism". St. George Spectrum & Daily News.
- Erin Alberty (February 6, 2019). "As 'Redmen' defenders yell 'vote 'em out,' a split Utah school board drops the controversial high school mascot". Salt Lake Tribune.
- Saranac Hale Spencer (June 16, 2016). "Conrad Schools of Science sheds Redskins name".
- Jessica Bies (February 8, 2017). "Conrad Redskins now the Red Wolves". The News Journal Published.
- Rauch, Isaac (February 16, 2013). "High School Students Vote To Change Redskins Mascot Despite Protests From Parents And Alumni". DeadSpin. Archived from the original on 1 September 2016. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Cooperstown schools changing Redskins nickname to get $10K from Oneida Indian Nation". The Post-Standard. The Associated Press. May 14, 2013. Archived from the original on 12 September 2013. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Aboriginal sports teams names 'not changing':Some say no teams should be named after any kind of group". CBC News. September 16, 2013. Archived from the original on November 6, 2015.
- "Fairview Park Schools move away from Native American imagery in logo". Cleveland.com. April 17, 2019.
- "Gridley High School "Redskins"". Illinois HS Glory Days. Archived from the original on 11 January 2016. Retrieved 5 May 2017.
- Brianna Calix (February 11, 2016). "Gustine chooses new mascot after governor bans Redskins". Merced Sun-Star. Archived from the original on February 13, 2016.
- "Hall High School Warriors removes Indian mascot". West Hartford News. June 15, 2012.
- Cheryl Meyer (April 13, 2002). "Huntley students pick new mascot: Red Raiders takes Redskins' place on school teams". The Chicago Tribune. Archived from the original on December 19, 2013. Retrieved December 17, 2013.
- Joe Vazquez (February 12, 2015). "John Swett High School In Crockett Drops 'Indians' Mascot". KCBS. Archived from the original on February 16, 2015.
- Angel Heart (March 1, 2016). "John Swett Unified School District, "Our Children are Warriors"". Archived from the original on March 2, 2016.
- Troy Blevins. "Houston ISD votes to change school mascots". KPRC.
- Louis Ojeda Jr. (April 16, 2014). "Houston schools change 'historically insensitive' mascots". FOX Sports Southwest. Archived from the original on July 4, 2014.
- Ericka Mellon (April 15, 2014). "New HISD mascots: Huskies, Wolf Pack, Texans". The Houston Chronicle. Archived from the original on April 18, 2014.
- Lindsey Bever (March 17, 2015). "The 'Redskins' are no more — at least in Lancaster, N.Y." The Washington Post. Archived from the original on April 2, 2015.
- "New Lancaster Mascot is the Legends". WGRZ. June 3, 2015.
- Jean Bonchak (March 19, 2014). "Ledgemont School Board votes to close high school building". The News-Herald. Archived from the original on August 21, 2016.
- ""The Old Schools" Gone But Not Forgotten". Archived from the original on January 16, 2017. Retrieved January 27, 2017.
- Phil Arvia (May 16, 2016). "Offensive nickname? Just choose another word". Chicago Tribune. Archived from the original on May 17, 2016.
- Gardner, Andy (June 19, 2017). "Continued use of controversial former mascot causing tension among Massena Central student body". North Country This Week. Retrieved 20 June 2017.
- Brian Bull (February 11, 2017). "After 90 Years, Rural Oregon School District To Drop Indian Mascot". KLCC. Archived from the original on February 12, 2017.
- Noel Brinkerhoff (March 1, 2017). "Proposal to drop Napa High Indian mascot draws protests". Napa Valley Register. Retrieved March 3, 2017.
- "Napa High School Students and Staff Vote to Change Long Standing Mascot". KSRO. August 20, 2018.
- Bob Chiarito (July 26, 2012). "20 years later, Redskins still special for many Central grads". Post-Tribune. Archived from the original on October 15, 2014. Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- "Redmen Forever". Archived from the original on November 21, 2015. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- Jaclyn Reiss (May 4, 2012). "Natick High School votes Red Hawks as new mascot name". Archived from the original on November 21, 2015.
- Vera Westbrook (December 6, 2016). "Douglas County schools contend with state's Native American mascot ruling". The News-Review. Archived from the original on December 20, 2016.
- "Ready to root for the North Side Legends? 'Redskins' had just taken on too much baggage". News-Sentinel. December 22, 2015. Archived from the original on December 23, 2015.
- Matthew Conyers (October 29, 2015). "Northwest Catholic High School Drops Indians As Nickname, Introduces Lions". Hartford Courant. Archived from the original on October 30, 2015.
- William J. Kemble (June 9, 2016). "Onteora Indian mascot to be replaced by eagle". Daily Freeman. Archived from the original on June 13, 2016.
- William Loeffler (February 16, 2018). "Fate of Park Indian head mosaic divides community". South Washington County Bulletin. Retrieved February 16, 2018.
- Charlie Bermant. "Redhawks logo selected for Port Townsend High School". Peninsula Daily News. Archived from the original on 2014-08-08.
- Rob Rogers (February 9, 2011). "150 attend meeting on Red Lodge High School mascot". Billings Gazette. Archived from the original on February 13, 2011.
- "St. Alphonsus Alumni". Retrieved 5 May 2017.
- Ryan McLaughlin (June 8, 2012). "Sanford High School replaces Redskins with Spartans". Bangor Daily News. Archived from the original on November 29, 2014.
- Pat Minelli (March 22, 2007). "Mascot name takes new high school by storm". Shakopee Valley News. Retrieved 3 May 2017.
- Greg Tufaro (September 18, 2018). "NJ high school unveils new logo following Native American controversy". Bridgewater Courier News.
- "Sequoia High replaces Cherokee mascot with raven". The Daily Post. April 19, 2019.
- Doug Harlow (November 11, 2018). "Penobscot Nation ambassador calls on Skowhegan to retire 'Indians' nickname". Kennebec Journal.
- Doug Harlow (December 5, 2018). "ACLU urges Skowhegan-area schools to retire Indians mascot: A letter urging the school district to 'do the right thing' was sent to superintendent and board Chairwoman Dixie Ring". Portland Press Herald.
- Bob Ratterman; Brennen Kauffman (June 29, 2018). "Native American group wants Butler County school's mascot changed". Dayton, Ohio: Journal-News. Retrieved July 1, 2018.
- Ben Deeter (September 11, 2018). "Talawanda schools consider mascot change — again". The Miami Student.
- Max Londberg (November 20, 2018). "Butler County school board votes to phase out 'stereotyping' Native American mascot". Cincinnati Enquirer.
- Tamalpais High School official site: A Brief History of Tam, accessed 10/21/2013 Archived 2005-11-06 at the Wayback Machine
- Jerry Ulmer (August 29, 2014). "The Dalles becomes latest Oregon school to drop Native American mascot". The Oregonian.
- Christina Fan (June 23, 2016). "The Tribe: Tulare Union gets new mascot after state law bans Redskins name". KFSN-TV Fresno. Archived from the original on May 10, 2017.
- Matt Burkhartt (September 20, 2016). "Competing calls to ditch, keep Turners Falls High School Indian mascot". Daily Hampshire Gazette. Archived from the original on January 16, 2017.
- Ashley Afonso; Joel Martinez (February 15, 2017). "School committee voted to remove Turners Falls High School 'Indians' mascot". WWLP-. Archived from the original on February 15, 2017.
- Mirana Davis (February 15, 2017). "About 120 Turners Falls High School students walk out to protest quick mascot vote: Say they felt School Committee did not fulfill promise to have student voices heard". The Recorder. Archived from the original on February 16, 2017.
- Schaefer, Samantha (November 21, 2013). "Controversial Apache mascot dropped by Northern California school". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on 22 November 2013. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- Lanz Christian Bañes (February 6, 2014). "Redhawks chosen as new Vallejo High mascot, replacing Apaches". Times-Herald. Archived from the original on July 14, 2014.
- Edward Stratton (December 9, 2015). "Schools face a changing Warrior". The Daily Astorian. Archived from the original on December 11, 2015.
- Tom Banse (May 11, 2016). "Oregon School District Latest To Jettison Native American Mascot, Imagery". Oregon Publish Broadcasting. Archived from the original on May 12, 2016.
- Isral DeBruin (April 28, 2010). "Red Raiders nickname won't change". Wauwatosa Now. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016.
- Steve Craig (June 13, 2018). "School board ends long, emotional debate with vote to remove Native American imagery from Wells mascots". Portland Press Herald. Retrieved June 16, 2018.
- Seth Koenig (March 19, 2011). "Wiscasset High to keep 'Redskins' mascot through end of school year". Times Record. Archived from the original on December 2, 2013.
- Seth Koenig (April 15, 2011). "Wiscasset High releases poll on proposals to replace controversial 'Redskins' moniker". Archived from the original on December 3, 2013. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- "Wiscasset moving backward; Redskin's name not appropriate". Bangor Daily News. August 26, 2014. Archived from the original on October 16, 2014.
- Beth Brogan (October 8, 2014). "Wiscasset selectmen approve request to change offensive road name". Bangor Daily News. Archived from the original on April 1, 2015.
- Evan Hendershot (April 13, 2016). "Woonsocket Redmen no more: School district co-ops final sport". The Daily Republic. Archived from the original on April 15, 2016.